Happy Birthday Mike!

Happy Birthday Mr. Michael,
I can't believe you are 7! The last 7 years have flown by! The days have been long, but it seems like I blinked and you're almost grown up.

This year you were diagnosed with ADHD and that has explained SO MUCH of our life for the last 7 years. You're learning what it means to have ADHD and practicing controlling your impulses. You have made great progress! We are learning that ADHD can be a blessing.

You still love to read. This year you started reading on the bus so you could check out a new book every morning. I love that you can't get enough of books. We finished the Charlie Bone series and jumped right into the Septimus Heap series (and the follow up). We read about 10,000 pages this year. Reading with you at bedtime is one of my favorite parts of the day, I'm not sure who enjoys the books more- you are me. I hope that we can keep this tradition up as you get older.

You got serious about sports this year. You played two seasons of baseball, one season of basketball, and finished your first swim season yesterday. I am amazed at the progress you have made in each of these sports over the last year. You have improved so much!

You still do really well in school. I love that you can't get enough of learning, and I hope you have a great time in second grade.

You love Legos, and can put huge sets together with limited assistance.

You and Zach fight all the time. You are constantly frustrated by him, but I think secretly you love him. When you're not fighting with him, you guys are best buddies.

You started at a new school this year and you did great. You and some new friends started a "football club" and you spent every recess playing various forms of football. You are still begging to play on a team, but have resigned yourself to the reality that it won't happen.

You discovered that you're a great swimmer and golfer. It is so fun to see you explore the individual activities and push yourself to improve.

You remain one of the most confident people I know. I'm not sure there is anything that you think you can't do- I love this about you.

You aren't a fan of vegetables. I don't know how to change this, but you do not like them.

You have made some great friends this year. I love to hear how you interact with your friends. You have several best friends, and you seem to be comfortable going into new situations and finding new people.

You had your first every paid job this year. You worked as a junior counselor at a summer day camp.

You became embarrassed by pictures and any public displays of affection. I'm not sure how to address this embarrassment, but I think we will both work it out.

You have the BEST pretween attitude, it is just the best. You talk back, yell, and slam the door. I'm not sure that to do with this, but it is hilarious (once I convince you not to run away). I am excited that we have a few years left before issues escalate to teach you how to cope with your emotions.

You hate cleaning, but love things to be clean. You're basically a tornado that rips through the house. It's frustrating to say the least, but you have good intentions.

You are so kind to Grace. You don't seem to left your younger sister bother you or bog you down. You are great at including her in your activities.

We love you Mr. Mike, I hope this is a great year for you!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds