12 Months!
Our sweet sweet Zachary is turning 1 this week and I have to say I am a little bit sad about his upcoming birthday. He has been such a wonderful baby, I’m almost sad to see him grow up, I have my doubts that I will ever meet a baby as sweet as this one. But he gets more fun and even sweeter with every passing day, so while I might miss my sweet chubby munchkin he is still a dream. Brian and I constantly comment on how Zach is a dream child, and he really is. I’m sure something around his 3rd birthday I will scratch my head and wonder what the heck happened, but for now, he is sweet Zach.
So on the eve of his first birthday here’s my letter.
To My Dear Sweet Sweet Zach,
You, my friend have had an exciting year. I remember anxiously (and let me just tell you I was antsy and anxious) waiting for your arrival last year. I wondered if you would be anything like your big brother, if I could handle a second child, if you would get along with your brother, and how you would fit into our family. From the day you were born you were a joy. No really, a joy. I remember holding you the first night in the hospital thinking you were perfect and wishing you could stay that small for a bit longer. You, however, have giant genes and quickly grew. The first week you were home from the hospital you wanted to be held constantly (well that might not be true but between me and Emmy you were held constantly). You wanted to sleep next to someone, and preferred they keep their hand on your face the entire time you slept. You were patient with Michael even though he jumped on you, screamed, and did all the other things that a 2.5 year old does when they are adjusting to having a younger sibling.
As the year as progressed it has been so fun to see your little personality develop. You are independent, persistent, strong willed, innovative, confident, and mischievous. You don’t like to be left out, but don’t mind doing your thing as long as you were asked to be included. You recover quickly from injuries (which is good because you are bit too daring). When you get hurt you scream at the offending person or object, look at me and yell, and then want to go about your business. It doesn't matter if you are bleeding, have a giant goose egg, or some other injury, you are usually happy to let us know what happened and move on. You adore your brother. He plays rough and isn't always the nicest to you (he’s 3) but you adore him. You love to share food with him, follow him, get into trouble with him, and wrestle. Boy howdy do you like to wrestle that kid.
Every day I am amazed how you are your own little person. You don’t look like your brother (or really your parents). You don’t act like Mikey or even Mikey at that age. You are just Zach. And I’m still convinced that Zach is the name you were supposed to have- something about you is a Zach. You my friend have brought more joy to our family than I thought one person could. You bring a level of calmness not seen in your other family members. I don't know what we would do without our loud and crazy Zach Henry.
So what to say about this kid:
-Zach started singing this month. It is so funny. Michael has always been a singer but until recently Zach hasn't shown much interest. When Michael is singing/screaming “Angels We Have Heard on High” Zach will join in on the “gloria” part. It is so fun to hear them singing in the back of the sweet minivan. He also likes to sing “Twinkle Star” and do the hand motions, “I like to move it” (you know the stupid Madacasgar song) and “Do As I’m Doing”, he will start clapping.
-everything is a tunnel. santa is going to bring him a real one, I think he will be thrilled.
-He babbles like crazy, but lately he's started to make the sounds of words that we say. “Dada” (Dad), “MOMMMMMM” (Mom), “MMMMMMMM” (more) and “pup pup” (puppy).
-He loves baths. As soon as he gets the slightest indication he may get to go in the tub he freaks out. He screams while he gets undressed and then takes off (naked) to the tub. It is hilarious.
-He’s thinning out and getting hair. It’s crazy.
-He loves parks, but he insists on going up in the play structure. This is nerve wracking because they aren't built for 1 year olds and he has no fear.
-Zach still just crawls, but FAST. Oh and he climbs… not great. Today I found him on a kitchen chair, standing up, on the tile, shaking it… great. He has started to stand and let go, but he tends to do this on the stairs or in the bathtub… awesome.
-He loves to help himself to drinks. If no drinks are available he goes to where we keep the cups and gets one with the hope I will fill it. He drinks the bathwater. He uses whatever he can to help himself to a drink in the tub- gross.
-He sleeps (insert Hallelujah chorus). He sleeps, he sleeps, he sleeps.
-He has 5(ish) teeth.
-He LOVES Brian. He insists on being picked up immediately when Brian comes home and follows him around until it happens.
-He has no fear. No really no fear. He does dangerous things on an hourly basis. When he gets hurt he doesn't stop, he amends what he was doing, but he continues. Zach’s persistence is amazing.
-He loves phones. When I asked Michael what we should get his brother for his birthday he responded “maybe a phone” and he wasnt kidding. He kidnaps iPhones whenever possible. I think he just likes to press the button and look at the picture of himself.
-He has started to become more picky about foods. He still loves most foods, but he has decided to go on a few hunger strikes and there are some things he prefers over others (fruit to everything else).
-He loves candy and constantly tries to get it.
-He takes a bottle with milk (sorta!) YAY!
-PB and J for breakfast, lunch, and dinner- no problem. Pizza 7 days a week- winner!
-He has started to show an interest in reading. It’s funny to go back and see how Mikey loved to read at this age, Zach has some interest but not like his brother. He likes to see how the book works- open and shut it, see how far he can throw it.
-He loves balls and is constantly looking for them under couches.
-Anything with wheels is a favorite- he likes to push cars, ride bikes, try and get on the scooter. He loves to go fast and he should really love his christmas present from Grammy and Poppy.
-When he gets hurt he wants to be picked up, tell you about what happened, and then go on his merry way.
-He will not keep socks on, unless he also has shoes on. He isn't a fan of real shoes, just the soft ones- looks like we need another pair.
-Sandbox is a winner.
-He is ok with the bike trailer but HATES his helmet partially because it inhibits his ability to eat snacks.
-He LOVES fruit snacks- this is how we know he is related to Grandpa Randy.
-He likes to throw part of his dinner off the tray and go eat it later… we mop a lot around here.
![]() |
| Baby Zach. Look how tiny. he still looks like Zach to me though. |
![]() |
| Poor scratched up baby. His finger nails were so long when he was born. |
![]() |
| at the thinkery before he got beat up. |
| helping daddy coach soccer. |
| begging for the phone. |
![]() |
| second breakfast on the floor, so glad brother gave him cereal... |
![]() |
| I fear he may soon find a way to hop over, I wouldn't put it past him actually. |
| more danger. |
| he sleeps! |
![]() |
| and he got up here without help. |
![]() |
| slumber party with brother. |
| checking out the new house. |
![]() |
| playing at the park |
![]() |
| zach and the tree... not great. |
| his true love- donuts. He is going to have a donut b-day cake. |
| he's saying "see mom the is how you eat it" |
![]() |
| trying to use the polar express. this wasnt violent enough for him so he had to rip it off the tracks. |
![]() |
| trying to secretly use brother's bike. |
| socks with sandals, thanks bri. |
| testing kid sized chairs. |
![]() |
| christmas countdown. |
| we love chocolate. |
![]() |
| and broccoli |
![]() |
| no really |
![]() |
| playing independently... what a concept. |
| testing the carpet at the new house. |
| thanksgiving! |

















Comments
Post a Comment