Please and thank you

Prepare yourselves. I'm dusting off the soapbox. The other night I helped out with a neighborhood event. I was the pizza passer outer. It was dinnertime, the pizza was free... I was destined for failure. As I passed out FREE pizza I was appalled at the behavior of 80% of the people- children and adults alike. People were demanding, they complained, they lied, they complained (yes it was so awful i have to say it twice), and rarely did they say please or thank you. Consider me old fashioned but I'm trying to teach my kids to say please and thank you... with one of them it is an uphill battle (no really it's a battle). I am always irritated when instead of asking "May I have ____?" He demands it. We've taught him please and thank you, but it's not quite sinking in yet. The other one hears the lectures and seems to be catching on a bit quicker. I know our family isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and people probably think our kids are demanding little tyrants. but I'd like to think we have time to fix that. So here's my short rant

Please please please say please and thank you. When I was a kid I had a friend who's mom would always say "Mind your peas and carrots!" when she left the house. It was a funny saying, but it was a reminder to her kids to use their manners. Are manners gone? In the age of cellphones and texting have we forgotten to teach our kids human decency. Do we forget that occasionally we may need to interact with another person and when we do it is helpful to be polite? Have we forgotten that when people do things for us it isn't always because they have to, but that sometimes they want to? I think we have. 

This brings me to my next slightly related topic. If you are at an event that requests volunteers and you opted out of volunteering you should probably shut your trap about how things are run. Unless you're willing to help plan, set up, execute, and clean up... your opinion... doesnt matter. You can't complain it wasnt done right, you didn't show up! You expended no effort... you get no say. 

Ok... the anger is dissipating... but let's just say some manners are needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds