Someday they're going to hate me...
The other night Brian had the Teacher's Quorum (14-15 year old youth group from our church) to watch a baseball game. It was a great reminder that someday my sweet little boys are going to hate me. Now they occasionally think I'm great. They want help (lots of help), they want me to be with them, but someday they won't....

The boys he had over are great, they are from good families and will probably be really great adults, and I'm sure they were adorable children, but as 14-15 year olds... well let's just say that age is rough. The teen angst is just, well palpable. Life is hard and parents and terrible, but luckily they can text about it on their $500 cellphones. Ok no really, the kids are great, but I made me shudder to think that the delightful attitudes these guys have are someday going to be... well living in my house. I thought we had an attitude problem now, I guess I was wrong. Right now the boys think we know it all. When they have a question they ask us and they trust the answer we give. When we say no, there's argument (from both of them, Zach is starting early), but usually they give in trusting that we know what we are doing, but that won't last much longer. In a decade we will in the thick of it (ok with Michael it might be next week), they won't be sweet and cute, they will be big, even more expensive, and they won't believe that we know anything. I remember thinking my parents were, well idiots (sorry guys), that they had no idea about real life, and their opinions were just the nostalgic of the middle aged... yeah that ended when I had to pay my own bills, and they became geniuses when I had my first kid. So I guess we have that fun to look forward to- disrespectful eating machines? I've been told I should enjoy them now, so I've been trying harder to do that this week. We've done one activity a day that they love that would be more fun if I either didn't have to participate or did it without them. It's been fun to spend more time with them, fun to try and remember that some day they won't need me as much, and fun to get to know them a little better. We've made cookies, had a nacho party, played in the sand, colored with markers, and gone on a bike ride. So maybe I can appreciate them at this age for a little bit longer. Maybe it will help the crazy messes seem less irritating and the diapers more bearable because as I've been told they won't be like this for long.
Comments
Post a Comment