Life with the Crazies: Peeing in the woods, a bloody face, and cactus spines

Today we went to the park. It seemed like no big deal, we were meeting up with some friends for a playgroup and we went to the park (that we almost always go to) right down the street from our house. It was a beautiful afternoon, everything was going pretty well (Michael refused to walk or wear real pants but that's normal). Things were going well, we had snack, played, the moms were chatting, and then... things went south. Michael and his little buddy started to walk towards the trees. The park is right next to the pool in our neighborhood but there are some big trees and grass between the two and the whole thing backs up to some "woods" that lead to a lake and "nature area". So they start walking that way. They were pretty close so we didn't worry. But then... Michael's friend pees on a tree. There aren't bathrooms at the park in the winter so while not the favorite thing it was understandable and then he is clearly trying to get Michael to do it as well. Michael was apprehensive, and I was torn, should I stop it? Or should I wait and see. I was standing and talking to his friend's mom and we decided to let it play out. Another friend's mom came over and we watch what happens. Eventually the friend convinces Michael to pee on the tree. He pees on the tree, sheepishly pulls up his pants, looks to see that I'm not watching, and then they proceed to the next tree. We stopped them there... but let's just say they were marking their territory at the park. Classy, I know. So a bit more time goes on after the peeing and they boys all decide to play in the woods (great). We migrate that way to be close but not too close because you want to save them but they're 4 year old boys so Mom isn't cool anymore. Then Zach trips. He trips and rolls, dusts himself off and keeps going. And then he trips again but this time he doesnt get up. I wait a second, and walk over, but this point he's screaming, "Zachy OK!". Which clearly he wasnt. I get there and his face and arms are cut up and bleeding. While I'm dusting him off and comforting him (It's Zach so more time was spent with he dusting than the comforting, that kid is amazing) Michael and a friend touch a cactus... with both hands... all over. It was one of those great ones with the real fine spines. Let's just say shortly after that we left and I was grateful we hadn't walked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea