What is that cheesy neon orange thing?: Kanafeh, an improvised recipe

 If you're unfamiliar with kanafeh... your life is missing something. No really it is. This is my favorite dessert EVER. Hands down, this is the best.  My family usually makes it around Christmastime. I don't know that it really has to do when the dessert is traditionally made so much as that is when we are together and it's a hit.

So what is kanafeh? It is a Middle Eastern pasty made with shredded filo/phyllo dough, cheese, and a simple syrup. My dad used to make it when we were kids and tell us this was his grandfather's favorite. He'd tell us how his grandfather would buy him some when they were out together and how it wasnt his favorite but it was his grandfather's. We havent found a bakery that makes it (well no I did find a few in NYC),  so we make the homemade version. I'm not sure how much this version differs from what you would find in the bakeries in the middle east (I'm guessing it differs quite a bit) but it is my favorite.

This is a pretty easy dessert, if I could make it more often I would, but there is one ingredient that makes it hard- the shredded dough. Since you can't just buy sheets of phyllo/filo dough and do it yourself you have to find a place that sells it done for you. I've only found it in middle eastern grocery stores, but maybe I just havent looked hard enough at HEB. If you're already going to the middle eastern store you might as well pick up some sweet cheese. If you try the cheese you will notice it isn't sweet at all (it's actually good if you just eat it), but it helps to give the cheese base of the dessert some structure.

Shredded dough. You can find this in the freezer section of middle eastern grocery stores
 This can also be found in the freezer section of middle eastern grocery stores. And luckily both of these hard to find ingredients can be kept in the freezer.. for a good long while.
If you make it to the middle eastern store you might want to pick some of this up. This is the special food coloring used to make the pastry bright orange. Regular food coloring works just fine, but this is kinda fun. A little bit goes a long way, I've had mine for a few years and just now need to get more.

This wasnt the most beautiful batch ever but it was delicious. So here's the recipe (Em).

Kanafeh (Possibly an Incorrect Version)

Makes one 12x18 pan (you can split the recipe in half and make an 8x8 pan that is just a bit thick... and well really good)

Ingredients
1 pound ricotta cheese (go for the full fat stuff it tastes better)
1/2 lb fresh mozzarella (shredded, cubed, cut up - make sure to use the fresh mozzarella)
1/2 lb sweet cheese (shredded. If you can't find this you can use 1 full lb mozzarella)

1 pound kanafeh dough (thawed)
2 sticks butter (melted)

1 cup sugar
1 cup water

dye or food coloring

Directions

1. Place dough in a bowl and start shredding. You can use a food processor if you like a fine texture (I don't). The best and easiest way is to take a clean pair of scissors and cut the dough until it reaches the desired texture. Pour butter over shredded dough and mix. Pour in dye or food coloring- you just need enough until it is colored. Set aside and get ready for more fun!

2. Combine cheeses in bowl, mix well, set aside (I know so hard).

3. Grease your giant pan (if you don't have a 12x18 pan you need one, just kidding, you can use a cookie sheet). Pour half the dough mixture into the pan and press to the edges. Pour the cheese over the dough and push to the edges. Pour remaining dough over cheese mixture and push to edges.

4. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until slightly crispy.

5. While the pastry is baking make the simple syrup. I don't like mine super sweet so I don't use the entire cup but it helps to have a little bit extra just in case. Pour sugar and water into a pot and boil until syrupy and reduced (you probably want to use low(ish) heat). If you're feeling ambitious you can add rose water... I don't.

6. Take pastry out of over and pour syrup evenly over the entire thing. Good luck waiting until it cools to eat it.


*we like this both hot and cold. If you like it hot just heat it up for a few seconds in the microwave. The melty cheese is quite delicious.

Here's a tray of the real stuff... clearly mine doesnt look like that, but isnt it beautiful!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea