A Life Worth Living
We returned from Utah and Brian’s grandmother’s funeral last
night. As we were there I had lots of time to think about what it means to live
a life worth living. As I mentioned previously I think Lavon Suker had a life
worth living. I am sure it was not without its’ hardships and challenges, and I
am sure there were days when both her patience and faith were tested to the
limit, but still to me she exemplified a life worth living. I had limited
exposure to Grandma Suker in comparison to her grandkids and even the other
grandkids-in-law, we lived far away the past few years and were in college
while we were in Utah, but my limited time with her was wonderful. I will say
that despite my limited time and exposure that she stands as an example to me
of someone who recognized her blessings and appreciated them, someone that made
her life what she wanted it to be, and was happy with what she was given. So as
I thought about what it means to live a life worth living the past few days
this is what has come to mind.
-find an anchor- For me the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been
an anchor, but for others something different may apply, but whatever you
choose, choose something. Choose something and stick with it. Use the anchor to
find purpose and guidance in your life. Use it to guide your day to day
decisions, as well as the direction for your entire life. Find an anchor,
commit to it, and follow it.
-family can truly bring happiness- for so many family brings
heartache and even regret, but I think, based on the Sukers’ example that
having a family and loving them wholeheartedly can also bring great joy and
happiness. Their example with their grand kids and great grandkids has shown me
that real joy can come from family love. I have a great family, but as we have
few generations that spend significant time together or have close
relationships it has been enlightening to me to see the impact that multiple
generations can have on one another for good. This example has given me
something to strive for, not just developing a relationship with my cute son,
but also keeping in mind that someday (though thankfully someday a long day
away) he will get married and have his own family and how important it is to
embrace them and love them too, and how much joy they can add to life.
-the best things in life aren’t free, accept that, work
hard, and life will be good- I think too often we look for the easy way out, I
know that I do at times. But I think that if we know what we want and we go for
it, despite the hardship that we may encounter it may be worth it. Too often it
seems that we get to end and realize that because we did not work as hard as we
could have, and what we achieved wasn’t worth as much as we thought. I think
college was like that for me, college was hard, but in the end because it was
so hard I have appreciated it. I think that some days with Mikey, some days are
tougher than others, but working with him and teaching him is worth it, though
it may not seem like it at the time. So the best things in life aren’t free,
shortcuts aren’t always the answer, sometimes the lesson is learned not in the
end result but in the path you take to get there.
- a life worth living is not spent wallowing in regret of
what might have been- life is about taking what you are given, learning from
it, and moving on. My mother-in-law Mary (can you believe I am now claiming a
mother in law, I must have come a long way, or she must be great) told my
sister-in-law and me about a quote from
President Gordon B. Hinckley the other day, and I am sure I am getting it
wrong, but here goes, it went something like “it will all work out in the end,
and if it doesn’t it isn’t the end”.
What a sweet message. To me it speaks to keeping a positive attitude,
remaining anchored, and always grateful for what opportunities we have been
given, rather than always looking for the chances missed. With that I think the
message is also to take a chance, close your eyes and jump, some things in life
are hard, but the regret of not having tried them might be worse (though
clearly I am struggling with this one).
-be giving and make sure your priorities are in order- I
think too often we get caught up in collecting stuff and keeping a schedule
that we miss things…well I do…. A lot.
-if you can help then help- Brian’s grandparents are great
at this, I cannot tell you how much their help through college meant to us.
They were always there willing to let you have a place to stay, borrow their
truck, provide you with a meal (whether you wanted it or not), they exemplified
this to me. When we moved into our Wymount apartment they helped, yes they helped,
I think at the time they were 77 and 80 but yet they helped, because they
could. What a sweet example… that I need to follow daily.
I am hoping I can follow my own advice, to live a life worth
living, so that when I look back at 40, 50, and beyond I can say that I tried
my best and lived life to the fullest. What a happy life that would be if you
could do that.
Thank you for this insight.
ReplyDelete