Mikey is a Big Kid!
This past weekend Mikey moved from his nursery to his big kid room. To say my motivation in getting the room together was pretty limited is quite the understatement, but I am really hoping to have it all done this week. If and when I get my act together I will post some photos of the room, but let's just say I think it is coming together quite nicely. It took... well I think about 3 months to get the room to this point.
The real issue was the bed. If you are familiar with IKEA then let me tell you that you have seen the bed, it is just a different color at IKEA. I decided (and it was a a bad decision) that I didnt like the color the bed came (cheapo plastic blue and unfinished wood) so I wanted to paint it... all of it... navy blue. Great idea until I came home with the bed and found out there were 17 million pieces to it. Okay not really, but way too many pieces for a child's bed. And because some of the bed was laminate (classy I know) we had to do a little prep work on it. We sanded it, primed it, sanded it again (but then got lazy so some of the drips are evident), painted it, painted again, assembled, and touched it up. Yeah... the touching up and assembling took place within 24 hours so that was good but the rest took us a bit longer than it should have. Anyway I think it looks better than when we bought it but not perfect. Sadly, I didnt sand all the drips so it could have been better, but good enough is good enough, right?
After the bed we had the dresser, which we did a similar thing to, but dont worry we already had the dresser so we weren't buying 2 new pieces of perfectly fine furniture and wasting our time on them. That project went slightly faster, but not really.
Oh and then we decided to paint the walls, and then undecided, and then decided again. Anyway, my friend came and helped, which was great, and we knocked it out in 2 hours. I probably spent more than 2 hours fretting over it, but oh well. Just a few touch ups to do (that likely wont get done for a bit), but overall the grey and the bright bedding... adorable.
The rest is a work in progress, but as you will notice we went with a digger theme... cause we let our son pick his own bedding. And it is pretty darn cute.
Because we are expecting another baby, and cause we think it might be a boy (the doctor does too, not just us) we decided to move Mikey out of the nursery to another room. We took most of his things to the new room, leaving behind the crib and wall decals, and the room is just... empty. It looks like the child that lived there abandoned it. And in reality he did, but still it is just so sad. it seems like we were just setting up the nursery and anticipating Mikey living in there and now... well now he lives in the room next door, but it is just a little bit sad. The room doesnt smell like him, have the laundry strewn about, or the diggers on the floor, it is just kinda sad. But no worries I am sure it will be decorated and a disaster before too long, with another occupant in there. Oh and yes he did sleep last night.... took a long long time but he did.


From the limited view, it looks super cute!
ReplyDelete