Dear Zach... getting ready

Dear Zach,
I can't decide if I am getting ready for you to come or if I need a bit. Clearly you need a bit, but sometime within the next few months you will be ready but I dont know if I will.

Please excuse the mess when you get here. I keep hoping that everything will be organized, cleaned, and ready by the time you get here, but things havent been that way since your brother arrived a little over 2 years ago so I really dont anticipate them magically changing over night. Rest assured I do have a bed, car seat, and clothes for you. I even washed the clothes with the special baby soap, the pantry probably will be a disaster but you my friend wont care about that for awhile.

Let me just say I am tired, really really tired. I have the best of intentions, but I am tired. I would say someday you will understand, but you my friend are a boy, so someday your wife will understand what I mean, and you sweet friend will just need to be supportive.

Let's have a little chat before you get here. When Michael came I didnt put him down, I rocked him to sleep, carried him everywhere, and responded at the first hint of a sound... you my friend are not going to have the same experience. Let me first say it isnt because I love you less, but it is because I have learned a thing or two. Michael was and probably always will be the "experimental" child. As the first and experimental child myself I feel bad for him, but you have the benefit of our mistakes and experience. You my friend will be cuddled plenty, but let's be realistic, we both know that you will be totally capable of sleeping without being rocked sometimes. We will both do much better if I let you learn to have some independence before your brother did.

I promise over the next decade I will read you thousands of books (no really), but unlike with Michael, I dont think I am going to stress over it quite so much. There have been lots of things that I stressed about with Michael that looking back didnt matter, so we are just going to roll with the punches (as much as I am capable of) this time around. We are going to enjoy the moments, not worry as much, and just breathe.

Ok sweet friend get ready because your brother isnt going to want to stop his schedule and his life just because there is a new baby. Michael didnt leave the house much at first, but I think your experience will be different. You will be out and about and that will be good for all of us, trust me it will. You will love it, you will love storytime, and the park, and pressing the trains at Walmart, you will. You will learn to love the car, and leaving every day at 10, to you this will seem normal, and we wont get cabin fever.

One last thing, we are both going to have to be patient with Mikey when you get here. He is used to being the only one, my buddy every waking moment of his day, you friend are going to rock his world. he is going to think you are the best thing since sliced bread (in about 6 months) but at first, well at first I think he is going to struggle. There are going to be lots of tears and more whining that either of us can imagine. But we are going to have to patient with him. He is going to be the big brother but he is still pretty little himself. But this is good, you will get to cuddle with Daddy when he comes home from work so Mikey can have some alone time, and Daddy is great, trust me. When you are about 2 you will get that. Daddy is totally willing to give kids candy, let them watch shows in my bed, and even stay up past bedtime, plus Daddy can sing, and  Mommy on the other hand not so much, buddy up to Daddy early.

So let's make a deal, you continue to grow for the next 6 weeks and I will work hard to get my act together. I am sure you are going to hold up your end of the deal, and I will make a concerted effort to uphold my end of the bargain.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea