Sleep: an ongoing battle
My two year old hates to sleep. No really, he says things like "I hate to sleep!" "Sleeping is a waste of my time" "I don't need sleep!- where did he learn these phrases! It is so incredibly infuriating. Every nap time is a battle. I have settled on quiet alone time, but even that is debatable. Most days "quiet time" is interrupted 3-5 times by crashes, injuries, or him screaming "I need to poop!" Really? You choose this moment to need to poop? I thought maybe he was outgrowing naps, but as he is a disaster by 6, don't think that's the case. Then I thought maybe this was just how kids are... and then I had Zach, the child that sleeps, and no, kids aren't like this, this is just michael. I have to admit at this point I'm a little concerned. He seems almost unable to settle himself and fall asleep, there are nights where I think he goes to sleep after I do. And it isn't because we have a bad sleep routine, or our house is loud, or he isn't given the opportunity to sleep. Every night between 6:45pm and 7:30pm (including weekends) we brush teeth, say prayers, put on pjs, and read- all with low lights, and still he doesn't fall asleep. Every afternoon between 1:30pm and 2pm we read stories, go potty and get tucked in, and yet... there are no naps. ideas? I thought about moving bedtime back, or cutting out naps but I'm not willing to do either. By the time bedtime rolls around I am done, I know it sounds awful, but I am, and we need a break from each other and I need time to put the mess he made away. And naps, well I usually spend the majority of that time taking care of zach, cleaning up messes, starting dinner, or hiding in my closet, so can't give that up either. So what to do? any ideas to make him sleep?
His comments crack me up--though I know you don't care to hear them! I wish I had some advice. I can ask Dr. K for you...
ReplyDelete