Sometimes I wish I could "clock out"

Now please don't take this the wrong way but some days I wish I could "clock out". Remember when you worked at a job that required clocking in and out and how there were times when you were watching the minutes until the end because the day had just been that terrible? Eventually that magical hour arrived, you ran down, clocked out, and for a few glorious hours you were free. I particularly remember those times during education week and women's conference at the bookstore, one can only care so much about Greg Olson and Simon Dewy. Today I may or may not wish I could clock out. Not run away and not come back, but take just a few hours where I am "off the clock". It all started yesterday around 7pm. Michael had diarrhea, I feel like that is explanation enough but we'll continue, then Zach woke up (he'd gone down just a few minutes earlier), than he went back, then he woke up, then he went back, then michael was sick again, then zach got up, then down. Then it was 10:30, then it was midnight and michael got up again (not to be sick) this time it was brian's turn. Then at 12:56am zach got up, and screamed, and then it was pretty much over. We continued with up and down until I gave up and stayed with him around 3am. At 5:21am we went downstairs, at 7:16am we got up for real after not sleeping more than 30 consecutive minutes all night. The day pretty much continued along that same vein, until now, bedtime again. Clearly my "customers" are not happy, it's time for a break, someone else needs to take the night shift, i have a daydream (cause I don't sleep) of walking downstairs, typing my ID number into the KRONOS machine, getting in my car, driving to my nice, clean, and quiet house and going to bed, then setting my alarm, waking up early, and clocking back in sometime around 6 tomorrow morning. Sometimes wouldn't that be great, sometimes I wish I could wave to the poor sap heading up for a long night or a day filled with screaming as I head off on my merry way to a quiet place where no one needs anything for... 20 minutes. It's not a great daydream, and I wouldn't trade these boys, but sometimes... sometimes there are really really really long days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds