Dusting Off the Soapbox... It's been awhile

Once upon a time I had a soapbox. It was a delightful soapbox, but somewhere in the craziness of life it got shoved into a corner, lost behind the piles of dishes, laundry, and toys. But no more. After years (I actually think it might have been years at this point), I am dusting it off and stepping back on.

So I have this thing about vaccinations, I used to write about it on my other blog all the time, I feel a bit passionate about them. I think I frequently used phrases like "blood is shooting out of my eyes" to describe my thoughts on the people from the opposite side. I'd like to think that over the years I have matured (likely a wrong assumption on my part), but my opinion has not changed. For some reference here are some of the previous posts.

http://ramblingsrecipesrants.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-heard-something-ridiculous-today.html

http://ramblingsrecipesrants.blogspot.com/2008/10/stepping-on-to-soap-box.html

So it's time to crank up the John Michael Montgomery (great ranting music) and post.  Here's the deal. I think everyone should be vaccinated. That is my entire opinion in one six word sentence. Well let's elaborate, everyone that can (because some people cannot) should be vaccinated. In light of the recent measles outbreak at Disneyland I couldn't let the soapbox gather dust any longer. The idea that measles, a disease that could be eradicated, is making a comeback makes me so angry. I've ranted a bit about it to Brian, but I don't think his feelings on the topic run quite as deep as mine.  At one point in time I wanted to become a nurse just so I could vaccinate people.

When parents choose not to vaccinate it angers me, it really really angers me. I know there are people that choose not to vaccinate their children for religious and medical reasons, and those I feel are valid. Those are also such a small percentage of the population that while a 100% immunization rate would be fabulous, they make such a small dent in the overall community immunity that abstaining is ok and one of the many reasons the rest of the population needs to be properly immunized. When I hear parents talk about how immunizations are dangerous, unnatural, or in some way harmful to their children I want to scream. I want to ask them if they realize that measles has a 90% transmission rate, meaning that if you are not immunized and you come in contact with measles your chances of catching it are ridiculously high. Some people argue that measles, whooping cough, mumps, chicken pox, and rubella are uncomfortable but not life threatening. While it is true that for centuries children have survived these ailments, it is not true that they are harmless. Measles can lead to high fever, lifelong brain damage, deafness, pneumonia, and death. The WHO estimates that the measles vaccine prevents 1 MILLION deaths per year. ONE MILLION. Let me just say that is more than the organic foods and essential oils are preventing... combined.

As parents we work hard to ensure our children's safety. We don't let them cross the road alone, we buckle them up in the car in safety harnesses that rival that harnesses astronauts use, we worry about them eating too much sugar and artifical dyes, and not enough vegetables. We monitor sleep, poop, and screen time. We keep them away from playground equipment that seems too dangerous, we keep the sharp objects up, warn them about fire, and make sure they know the dangers of the water. But many parents are choosing not to vaccinate. Vaccinations are fast, inexpensive, and relatively painless. They are safe, effective, and save more lives than swim lessons and Annie's organic mac and cheese. But yet so many parents fight against them. True vaccines have their risks, but so does everything.

As the vaccine debate becomes more divisive I am shocked to see so many people take a stand. I recently heard of a mothers group that considered (and in some cases actually did) require that members wanting to participate provide immunization records for their children. While even I find this extreme, it does bring up a variety of issues, including how safe the vaccinated public feels, and how safe the vaccinated public actually is given the declining immunization rate. This group is made up of primarily white middle class women, the same group that has decided not to vaccinate their children in alarming numbers over the last 5 years. People brought up safety issues, especially for pregnant women and young children (under 12 months) and while they are all valid points, I wonder how realistic enforcement is. Are we to the point yet where we only allow immunized children to participate? I have seen this trend in the pediatricians offices we visit. Our pediatrician will not treat unimmunized children, and honestly I applaud her, I do not want my child exposed to something in the waiting room. Is this the way prevention is moving? Towards fear and discrimination? The prospect of public health moving towards that, especially where vaccinations are concerned is heartbreaking. Vaccinations were once heralded as the greatest discovery of the century, mothers praised Drs Sabin and Salk for their discovery of the polio vaccine, children lined up to be immunized in schools, and very few parents with the financial means to immunize their children opted out. But today the tides have turned, we have forgotten how dangerous and debilitating these "childhood" diseases are and instead take unnecessary risks and fight amongst ourselves.

So the crux of this post- go get vaccinated. Vaccinate your kids, do the responsible thing. Consider the pain and suffering prevented for your own children and those around you.

Soapbox done, but not put away.

Comments

  1. I, for one, love it when you get on your soapbox, Ashley. Sarah McGaugh would love this post. She's been posting A LOT on FB about the utter incomprehensibility and selfishness of those that choose to ignore scientific fact and reason bychoosing to not vaccinate and put society at risk.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds