Going "Home"

Michael and I were able to visit Dallas this weekend. We had so much fun.  We have visit Dallas quite a few times since moving, but I think, at least for me, this was the best trip we have had.

It has been one year since we left Dallas, and Austin is finally starting to feel like home. I am 100% sure that most of it has to do with us living in our own house and knowing that we aren't going to be packing up and leaving in a year (like in the rental). We have started to make friends, Brian has a calling in our ward, and Mikey is settled in his new preschool. When we used to visit Dallas I would dread going back to Austin. It was like I was leaving behind a piece of myself every time we left. I would come home and be sad for days. For awhile it was easier not to go back to avoid seeing what we had left behind. But time heals all wounds and this time when we went back, while I was sad not to see all our fun friends on a daily basis it was fine. No tears were shed, I didn't hope to get caught in the storm and get stuck there, I was perfectly happy to go home. So i think it's a sign we can visit more often.

So our trip, we spent the first night with my grandparents and then made it to beautiful Wylie by 1030am on Saturday. That is when and where the fun began. We got to stay with our very good friends and from the moment we walked in to the moment we left Michael and Cooper were chatting up a storm. It is always fun to see these two together, because while I highly doubt at this point they remember all the time they spent together at storytime, at the park, running errands, or just sitting in the van while we drove to wherever we were headed, they always seem to pick up right where we left off. Had we known that we would move away some day I would have taken more pictures and videos of them together as little guys. They met when Michael was Zach's age and Cooper wasnt much older so these two fun buddies dont remember a time when they werent best friends- we forced that friendship. So the boys were in heaven. They played outside in the dirt, terrorized each other, played with swords, dragons, and superheroes. They were really good "sharers" too, this is amazing since they used to not be so great. They both had runny noses and insisted on carrying tissues around, it wasnt until the second day that we realized they were sharing the tissues... yeah so they shared tissues and germs... fun. Ok so boys had a blast. We took them to their favorite taco place, which honestly Michael doesn't remember at this point, and they were in heaven. They shared their food, and just chilaxed (yep) while they ate their ice cream. They got to meet up with another good friend, and the three of them proceeded to make a giant mess. You know the kind of mess that you feel bad leaving but don't really because... well it was just so awful. But we decided it was a win because no one had an accident, threw up, or had a screaming fit (all things that have actually happened there). Then we headed to Target. Because honestly what would a trip with these friends be without a quick (or not) stop at Target. Of course we found some amazing deals, because that is what happens when we are together. We were lucky to have our dear friend Mel join us, she's hilarious and it was so fun to have her. Then we had to make a quick trip to the "modesty shop". There is a shop near Wylie that sells modest dresses and skirts, it opened after we left, but it is worth a trip every time we go. After searching the sale racks (because that's how we roll) with no luck, I found an adorable skirt (shoved in a corner). It was worth the trip, and as a plus it was a color and had pockets, a discovery I made during church the next day!

Saturday night we (the moms) attended the annual Favorite Things Party. The first year we had it at my house, the second year at Mel's (right before we moved) and this year it was at Nicole's. I don't know what it is about this particular event that is so fun to me, but I think it is a blast. Anyway, Im really hoping they do it again next year, it seems like a great tradition. It was good to see so many Wylie friends. One of the things I love about Wylie is how welcoming everyone is, maybe i think that it is because I know them, but whatever the reason it's always great to get to see people that you know like you, admit it, you know it's true. So after that delightful party (which it really as fun), we stayed up and chatted, and then stayed up more, and then realized that it was the next day and our children didn't care that we stayed up until 2:30am so we headed to bed.

The next day we headed to church, it was crazy to see the ward so small! It has split since we moved and this ward seemed like such a manageable size! They sang to Michael in primary and he was thrilled, he seemed confused because he knew so many of the kids that he didn't think he was a visitor.

We headed home earlier than we had planned to beat the snow and ice, and while we were sad to go, Im so glad we headed back when we did!

So all in all a great trip, but we're happy to be home, especially because we missed Brian and Zach who stayed in Austin.

Our trip to tacos. Only Zach and Hunter were missing. I can't believe how many little boys there are now!
 This was before they made a mess... yes before.
 A trip to target! Sadly you can't see the target, but we knew where it was. I love that it looks like Mel was photobombing this picture... she wasnt but it looks hilarious.
 you know you needed the instagram version.
 We found these great suspenders in the dollar section, we may or may not have bought some for the boys to match... someday they'll thank us
 Sadly I didn't bring blue pants (because how could I have known that we would find these great items!), but they were pretty cute anyway. Yes, Michael is taller and younger.
 cute best buddies.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds