"melt 1/2 c. butter"

Can you really go wrong with a recipe that starts with "melt 1/2 c. butter"? No, only good can come from that.

I love fruit desserts. I really just like fruit and dessert so why not put the two together- winning combination, right? Wrong, well right for me, but wrong for some people. Brian doesn't share my love of fruit desserts, on more than one occasion I have been reminded that "cooked fruit" isn't his favorite. He's a good sport, but let's just say if given the choice between a chocolate cake and a cherry pie he wouldn't have any hesitation going for the chocolate, me, well it would be like Sophie's Choice (except not, obviously).

So the other night Michael wanted to help me cook. I should say he wanted to "help" not help. He loves to help, but he's 3... so helping isn't always helping. But I don't want to crush him and keep him from wanting to help when he is more helpful so I try and encourage him. I was looking for something that would be his speed and thought of peach cobbler. I did a few searches and came across a recipe that was kid friendly. Kid friendly almost to the point that if he knew how to open a can he could make it alone. We made it and it was... delicious. Brian had seconds. Yes the earth stopped spinning for a second, Brian had seconds of a fruit dessert that wasnt served at Peach Days (because that's the exception). It turns out the ratio of cobbler to fruit is well... better for him. There is lots of cobbler and little fruit. I'm sure you could change it, but really why mess with a recipe that starts with "melt 1/2 c. butter". Ok I did alter the original recipe a bit, and the one below is my alteration, but trust me the almond extract, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg just make it that much better. Oh and just in case you were curious, this is delicious for breakfast, lunch when your preschooler is off at school and your husband is at work and its just you and your 1 year old and who's he gonna tell? Its just delicious any time, forget dessert, think of this as a well balanced meal.


Fruit Cobbler
serves 6 (or 1)

Ingredients
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1/2 c. butter (yes 1 stick)
2 t. baking powder (yes powder, not soda)
pinch salt
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract (ok you can skip this, I love almond extract so I thought it was delicious)
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg

1 (15oz) can fruit (we used peaches and cherries, separately of course)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. While oven is preheating place 1 stick of butter in an 8x8 pan and melt (or don't, but you need to melt 1 stick of butter). Pour melted butter into pan (if you chose not to melt in the pan). Combine flour, sugar, milk, baking powder, salt, vanilla, almond extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour mixture over butter (yes there is enough butter that it will swirl up... this is a good thing). Pour fruit (and juices) on top. DO NOT MIX. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until slightly set and golden brown. Seriously consider adding whipped cream or ice cream and then realize that will just slow you down so skip it and grab a spoon to eat directly from the pan (oh wait don't).

I seriously recommend making this after you children go to bed. or better yet have them make it for you and then send them to bed, and then eat it. Forget the thousand(s) of calories. Just eat up, it's delicious, and it's likely you'll burn it all off chasing kids, worrying, and living.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds