Opposite Children






I know I have written about this a number of times before but Zach and Michael are opposites. Let me give a few examples:

Michael wakes up early, often before the sun rises (I wish I was kidding), Zach is cool with sleeping in, I think he would prefer to wake up around 8:30am. Once he's up he's up but he's ok if the day doesn't start immediately. 

Michael hates vegetables. Hate isn't even a strong enough word for how he feels about anything healthy. Getting him to eat a few pieces of zucchini is well... not worth the nutritional value. Zachary on the other hand, loves vegetables (if he's willing to eat that day). We recently read A Bad Case of the Stripes (about 2000 times), if you've never read it the main character, Camilla Cream, loves lima beans but won't eat them because she thinks she will be made fun of. Zach wanted to try lima beans after that, he ate a bowl full one night, requested another for lunch the next day, and freaked out when I went to eat some. Opposites. 

Michael hates frosting, especially store-bought frosting on store-bought cakes, this is how I knew he is my son. Frosting is the worst. Zach... well this is how you know he is Brian's child, he LOVES frosting. We were at costco the other day and he was freaking out because I wouldn't buy giant cake with balloons on it. Guess we know what he wants for his birthday!

Michael really wants to follow the rules, he likes structure and order... Zach... less so. Michael will do something because it is expected of him, Zach not so much. Zach won't do something unless he wants to. Imagine how well potty training is going with Zach, I'm pretty sure he could be fully potty trained but he refuses to consistently use the toilet. Michael on the other hand really wanted to be potty trained because he wanted to earn prizes and he thought that was what kids his age did (it was). Zach... will use the toilet when he wants to. 

Michael doesn't like to play alone. If he is alone he makes a big deal out of it, to the point of hitting and excluding his brother. Zach is cool with playing along. 

Their imaginations are so different. Both are very imaginative and love to dress up. Michael likes to play a story he knows- like Harry Potter, or Wild Kratts, Zach is different. Zach thinks that Darth Vader is the best, and it's ok if Vader and Daniel Tiger are best friends and eat lunch with Harry Potter and Curious George. This blending drives Michael insane. He hates when stories are mixed. Telling him that two people can be Harry Potter... is not an option. 

Zach has no problem telling you when something makes him angry. He will say something like "dont say that to me" ok scream it, and Michael tends to walk away, scream, or hit. Zach loves to upset michael because he loves the dramatic reaction. 

I'm interested to see how Grace turns out. The boys are usually pretty opposite, and so far she has been the middle ground between them. Oh funny kids!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea