Happy 2nd Birthday Mikey!

So sweet sweet Mikey turned 2 on Monday (or JULLY! 8! as he was so fond of saying). Lucky Mikey had  grammy and poppy and his emmy fly in for the big day. He had been anticipating this day since Brian's birthday so i think when it actually rolled around he was a little bit surprised that July 8 was a real thing. 

In preparation for the big day Mikey picked out his dinner. He requested, rather forcefully I might add, that he wanted to eat grilled chicken and mashed potatoes with salad (pretty sure he had no intention of actually eating the salad). So we went with it, especially since he told EVERYONE he met that we were having mashed potatoes for his big day.  He also requested a cake, cause you know he is two and cause it was a birthday! We decided to go with ice cream cake. Mikey isnt a big cake person and we wanted ice cream cake so yeah. After much deliberation we went to Dairy Queen to get him one... more on that. 


So the big day rolled around and his wonderful mom (me) realized (after getting an automated call from the pediatrician's office) that I had scheduled his annual visit and shots for 830am on his birthday... yeah... mother of the year award. So I pulled him out of bed (with the company in town he has a had a few late nights lately) and we went to the doctor. He is healthy, great stats again. Here are the stats:
Height: 37 3/4 inches
Weight: 32lbs 14oz (i thought he weighed more)

Once again he is is off the charts for height and in the 90th percentile for weight. 

Anyway back to the story so we go to the doctor and Poppy decided to join us. We decided to pick up the ice cream cake on the way home, but since Poppy loves Mikey he decided to get him an ice cream cone too (why not since it was 10am). So he buys and ice cream cone and we sit down so he can eat it, he eats it for 1 minute and sets it down and turns to me and says (direct quote) "I need a meal!". My dad and I look at each other like "no you dont", but he says it again. I should also say that less than an hour previously I had asked the pediatrician why Mikey doesnt eat, anyway so he insists he needs a meal, and then he says (another direct quote) "I definitely need a hamburger!" so we got him a hamburger and he ate it... no coercing, just eating. I guess he did need a meal. 

So the rest of the day was pretty uneventful, he took a nap, went swimming, and then it was party time. 

He wasnt thrilled that it was dinner time at first... this is a bit of a teary face poor guy. 

but once the mashed potatoes were served he was over it. He ate three bowls of mashed potatoes. he LOVES mashed potatoes, and this situation made me seriously wonder why I had asked the pediatrician about his eating, especially since she didnt believe me (who would he is a giant!). 
no really he loves mashed potatoes. 
I seriously thought he was going to unhinge his jaw to eat them, but dont worry we lived through it. 
Now for the cake. I know there are awesome moms out there that make the birthday cakes, and I am willing to do it, but I think my skills at an ice cream cake would be limited at best. So we bought one. Also I always wanted one and so did Brian so we spent the $20 and got one, and let me just say it was worth it. We decided to be classy and decorate it with some diggers. Mikey loves diggers. He also picked out these candles and told me they said happy birthday, which is true, they did. 
We crammed as many diggers on as possible, covered the whole thing in sprinkles (cause mikey loves sprinkles) and admired our sweet cake. 

Mikey requested that Cooper come over for the party so our friends joined us (shocking I know). I was a little nervous to light the cake (why are candle wicks covered in wax). I thought I would end up lighting a digger on fire and in the end it was a candle that got the dump truck but we all lived through it. 
He was so excited about the cake, and the singing, and the attention. Grandpa Randy and Mary were able to join us too (via facetime). 
He had his friends Cooper and Hunter over. They liked his bike (much more than he did). 
Emmy was able to join us too, she has been here every july 8 for the past 3 years. 


 There are so many delightful things about this photo, but hey we took it so we are going with yay we got a picture!

 Grammy and Poppy were there too, this was the best photo I got. My photography skills were limited I guess.
 Then came presents. Mikey got a bike (which he didnt love so I think we will regift in a month or so), lots of books (thanks Grandma and Grandpa Suker), and Thomas the Train (which he LOVES), some diggers from his friends, and sand toys from Grammy, Poppy, and Emmy- which he has used for hours already.
 See the sweet sandmill... gonna be honest I tried it out the night he got it and let me just say it is awesome, and totally worth the $3
 He got his own set of "Bear" books. We have been checking the Bear Snores On out from the library since November it was time to get a few of our own, and as anticipated he loves them and continues to pretty much recite them from memory.
He did finally understand opening presents, I am sure at christmas he will be a pro. 

All in all I think he had a great 2nd birthday. The rest of his birthday week... well less good as he has had some serious tummy trouble for the past 4 days, but hey Monday was great! 

Happy birthday sweet mikey, we love you!

Comments

  1. What a great birthday! I loved the pictures of the mashed potatoes -- they reminded me of Brian. My mother, Grandma Murphy, had a long tradition of taking the family to Chuck-A-Rama for dinner. (Brian, do you remember?) it started because all Brian wanted to order was mashed potatoes. At Chuck-A-Rama he could get all he wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Mikey! We love you all the way back up here. Two...unreal. It seems like yesterday you had that giant!
    Ok. So Brian loves mashed potatoes. I recall his mother threatening Jared and I one Memorial Day on KFC Chicken dinner...that WE MUST buy an EXTRA HUGE tub of mashed potatoes...just so Brian could have his VERY OWN. So he's for sure Brian's kid!!! It's official!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds