Sorta a Nightmare
About 2 weeks ago the remnants of Zach’s umbilical cord fell
off. I didn’t think much about it, everything seemed sorta normal, until it
wasn’t. There was a yellow blob in the middle of his belly button and it was
oozing (I guess I shoulda warned you this would be graphic). When we went to
the pediatrician I asked her about it and she said it was called a granuloma
and it would go away, but she put some silver nitrate on it just in case. The
oozing continued and it didn’t go away, but it didn’t get worse so I didn’t
need to take him in. None of the warning
signs had occurred, it wasn’t swollen, bleeding, didn’t have a smell, and
didn’t seem to bother Zach in the slightest. So I cleaned it, and only worried
a little bit. Then all of a sudden his belly button doubled in size, then
tripled, and quadrupled, all in just a few hours. Now I was worried. I called
the pediatrician and explained the problem and when in that day. I assumed she
would just put silver nitrate on it again, and it would be good. So we go to
the appointment, they weigh him (he weighs 11lbs 11oz now, he is trying to
double his birth weight before 2 months) and then the pediatrician comes in.
She takes one look at him and get concerned. He didn’t have a fever, was happy,
was clearly gaining weight, had good color, was responsive, no ear infection, etc, all in all he was healthy except the
belly button issue. Now I am concerned, if the pediatrician is concerned I am
concerned. She says she will be right back, so she’s gone about 5 minutes
(enough time for me to really start to panic) and then comes back. She tells me
she thinks he has an umbilical hernia and that it isn’t anything to worry
about, but because the granuloma is obstructing her view she can’t tell. She
then tells me his intestines could be poking through his belly button causing
the oozing or something else horrible, but that she wouldn’t bet on it in
Vegas… ok… Then she tells me she called
her friend the pediatric surgeon and we have an appointment at Children’s at
1pm (it was 10am). Our pediatrician talks really fast so this conversation was
about 1 minute (don’t get me wrong I love our pediatrician and I am sad to
leave her when we go to Austin). By the end my head was spinning, was there
something wrong with Zach, did I just just notice he was hurt, was he seriously
ill? Would he be ok? As these thoughts are going through my mind she tells me
that he may have to have a same day surgery or something else but that we will
be at the hospital so they are equipped to deal with that. Zach is exactly 1
month old (ok he was one month and a day), hearing there could be something
potentially life threatening wrong with your one month old is enough to make
anyone worry, but someone who invents the worst case scenarios, lets just say I
was concentrating on breathing at the point.
So we go to the surgeon’s office and as we are waiting there
other patents come in… patients that have had surgeries for various reasons and
my only thought was please don’t let this be my child. All the children had
received surgeries for what appeared to be obvious issues, I don’t think I am
equipped to deal with a child in that much pain, it was too heartbreaking. So
they call us in, the nurse starts taking Michael’s vitals until he tells her he
is Michael and not Zach. Then we see the nurse practitioner, she looks at Zach,
pokes him, and tells us she is pretty sure he has a hernia, then she pokes it
back in… She says it isn’t anything to worry about but that she is going to get
the surgeon to double check. At this point my heart rate was slowing down (a
bit). The surgeon comes in, glances at him, and says it is an umbilical hernia,
nothing to worry about, he wont operate until Zach is 4 unless it causes
issues, and more than likely it will close up soon. He then says that the
pediatrician saw another patient in her practice last week who had a similar
issue but with complications and that she was probably just paranoid and sent
us for that reason. At this point my heart rate has returned to normal. He’s
healthy, his tummy just looks… odd. We were referred to a surgeon in Austin,
and he is good. Yay! After that day I was a little stressed, I may or may not
have bought cookies to make up for the horribly stressful day. We are so glad
sweet Zach is healthy!
Oh, Ash! That's awful. You deserve cookies. You do! Honestly, just thinking that something could be wrong makes your.heart.stop! I'm SO glad to hear everything is okay. I'm glad you wrote this down so we would know!! And YES he is the chubbiest baby ever! Oh, and Shan's kids have had a hernia before, and it goes away...so let's hope Zach's turns out okay too. Can't wait to see the chubber. I'll do my best to chub up Andrew!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad this problem turned out so well. I hope it will help you to know that umbilical hernias are more common than we realize. My Janet had one also. We laughed that sHe pocked out like a little boy. We just kept an eye on it and at 18 months they did a little "nip and tuck" and from then on she bragged about having an artificial belly button.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for the happy ending! Children's hospitals always give me a good dose of perspective and gratitude. (And I can totally hear the dr. telling you everything so fast! She's great, though--I agree.)
ReplyDelete