Goodbye Grandma Denny

Brian's sweet Grandma Denny passed away this morning, and as she was my most avid reader I have to say a few things about her. Don't worry this will be random, disjointed, and jumbled (but you all expected that).


First off, Grandma Denny was one of the kindest people I have ever met. She always asked how you were doing, about your family, school, work, etc and she seemed to genuinely want to know the answer. She had a great memory, and she would bring up things you had mentioned in passing, on your blog, or something someone had told her.
I love these pictures of her. Yes they are slightly out of focus, and yes I am standing headless in the background but she looks so happy to see Zach. She had been following him on this blog for 6 months and finally got to meet him. I am so glad that he was able to that, and that we (for once) were smart enough to snap a few photos.

The first time I met Grandma Denny we went to Marie Callendar's by her house (well I think it was by her house, but I'm not so good with directions so it might not have been that close). I knew I was going to like her right off the bat, I love Marie Callendar's pies.

She was one of the first ones to call and say she was excited when I got into grad school. This seems like a cheesy thing but I was so excited to go to grad school and so many people I knew were confused about that decision. She called and sounded thrilled. That was wonderful.

She was always quiet at family functions but she made a point to talk to everyone. One time when we were first married we had gone to some dinner and she hadn't talked to me, she called later that night to apologize. I don't remember noticing, but she was a kind lady and she did.

She was one of those people that was genuinely happy for you. When we decided to move to Dallas she seemed genuinely happy for us and congratulated us on our adventure even though it meant we would rarely see her. When we had our boys she was excited, when we got into school, bought CJ, etc. All those times her congratulations were sincere.

She tried really hard to be there on big days, she called when we had our boys. When Brian graduated from college, though she couldn't make it to the graduation or up to apartment for dinner she drove all the way down to provo to give him a hug in the parking lot of our wymount apartment.

She was great at telling Brian that his mom would have been happy/proud of him. She was great at remembering to do that. I'm not sure what impact that had on Brian but as a semi outsider it was good to hear someone mention Jacqui.

A couple of years ago (can you believe it has been that long?) Michael was really interested in owls, and she sent him two wind up owls for christmas. He was so excited to make them walk. I have no idea where or how she found them, but it was so kind of her to track them down and send them to him because she knew he would love it.

She always called on birthdays, it was short and sweet but she would say "just wanted you know know we're thinking about you today", such a sweet and thoughtful lady.

When Brian and I were engaged she offered to address and mail all of our wedding announcements. This was such a big help! She made labels, stuck them to all the envelopes and paid for the postage. If you are looking for a great wedding gift, trust me this is one.

Sometime while Brian and I were still in college we had a bit of car trouble. Brian had gotten a flat tire, but not only did the tire need to be replaced but the wheel as well (something about whatever had given him the flat). Then we found out that not only did we need one new tire but we needed all 4! Plus I believe our car insurance and registration were due around the same time (maybe I'm remembering this a little bit wrong). We went to a family dinner and I remember the family asking us what happened and us talking about the cost of the tires and whatever related expenses there were. A few days later we received a card in the mail with $50 from Grandma Denny. She said it wasn't much but we looked worried and she remembered what it had been like to be in school and not have much and she wanted to help out any way she could.

And a few random extras:

when Brian and I were first married she would bring sarah's salad (i think that's what it's called) to family dinners. It was 7 or so layers, it was always in the same container and it was beautiful, so perfectly layered- it really was a shame to eat it.

When Cars came out she told us how much she loved it and how much it reminded her of growing up in Nevada. I think we even borrowed it from her way back in the day. Last year Michael had a small (or big) obsession with Cars and every time we watched the movie I was reminded of her and how much she enjoyed it.

She had such a sweet laugh. I can't explain it, but it was a sweet laugh.

I talked to her just a few weeks ago and she called to get the birth cities for both the boys. She was so sweet on the phone, so apologetic for interrupting Michael's screaming fit. This was just typical Grandma Denny, always putting other people first.

She sent Michael birthday and christmas presents that she had carefully selected- items she thought he would love, and he did.

Grandma Denny we love you and you will be missed!



Comments

  1. I'm so happy your wrote all of those down. I started doing the same thing the other day. You just put it so much better in words than I ever can. I cried through your whole post of her. She really knew how to love everyone. Wish we could see you in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley. We missed you guys at the funeral. I totally know how it is with little kids though, and I think you guys were just out right? Thank you for your post about grandma. She really did have such a sweet laugh.

    Your kids are so cute. Brian was so cute about showing us all pictures of them. Such a proud dad. Hope you are well. I am an avid reader too. I need to comment more often.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea