Family History

Ok, I'm going to admit something that makes me a semi terrible person- until very recently I have strongly disliked family history. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the stories and pictures, but as far as hunting down long lost relatives, yeah that isnt for me. That's not to say that it wont always be for me, but since I currently spend my life in kidland in a half zombie state finding a long lost relative, well there just arent enough hours in the day to muster the energy for that. Family history has been one of those things that illicts guilt, one more thing that isnt getting done. Since my sweet sister has had some time off of school she has done a bit of family history, and in the process she created a 5 generation family tree for us (most of the info was on familysearch already). It is awesome. So cool to see that work that people ahve put into tracking down ancestors and so cool to see how far our ancestors have travelled so that we could have a pretty sweet life. So I think maybe some day I wont be quite so anti family history- I mean it's likely some day I wont look like a sleep deprived homeless person either, so there's that.

I also had the opportunity to briefly chat with Brian's wonderful aunt and Grandpa during our trip. Seriously, I lucked out in the extended family in-law department, I've never met kinder people. But Brian's aunt had some old family photos and stories and they were fascinating- I can't wait to see the digital copies. It was great to hear the few stories she told us and it helped remind me to keep blogging. Blogging is one of those things I tend to do when I'm a little bit tired and sometimes irritated, but it is one of those things that I love to go back and look at. I try and remind myself that this is family history, and that if in 20 years (or more) someone wanted to go back and get our family stories they are all right there, spelled out, and available for consumption. My grandma gave each of her kids a book of her "memoirs". There were some fascinating sections, and some truly horrifying sections (no really scarring), my hope is that this blog includes just the fascinating stuff, just the funny anecdotes and stories, just real life so some day my daughter in laws (bless those sweet girls already) and Grace can look back and just chuckle. So they can look back and see that raising Sukers is hilarious and exhausting all that the same time, so they can just laugh at the antics of their husbands and in Grace's case siblings. So that on those really terrible mothering days when they are hiding in their closet eating a bag of chocolate chips with the light off (because let's be honest that happens) they know that other mothers before them have been there, done that, and lived. So that some day when I am that terrible mother in law that they have nightmares about and complain about visiting to their husbands, and mother that she just finds exasperating and cant't handle speaking to, they might remember that I was once them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea