General Conference

As many of you know last weekend was General Conference. For those of you unfamiliar, General Conference is an annual meeting of the LDS church where the leaders address the members of the child and the world as a whole. It is 2 days, 5 sessions, and filled with lots of great information- I highly recommend visiting LDS.org for more information. So last weekend was General Conference and I want to say that I had a great spiritual experience and that I remember tons and tons from it, but I remember very little. I think it was an uplifiting and testimony building experience, but I think I am currently at a point in my life where really getting all the information the first time around isnt going to happen- isnt is great that we can listen to it again and again and read it again and again. Anyway, as we were listening to conference I was sitting there (folding laundry) and hoping and even silently praying that something would grab me, and it did. Let me set up the scenario, I was folding laundry, laundry that should have been folded days before but I hate that job so I put it off... so I had 9 million loads to fold, and I was angry about it. I hate folding laundry-hence the 9 million loads, so I was in a bad mood. And Mikey was chipper, and jumping over the laundry, and throwing it, and unfolding it, and really making the job harder. I asked him nicely to stop, and then again, and then again, and again, and again, and finally I was so frustrated that I yelled at him. I would like to think that I am not a yelling mom but that is probably not true. Anyway I yelled at him and sent him away, and then... and then Sister Rosemary Wixom gave her talk titled "The Words We Speak" (sunday morning session). And I got my moment, my experience, and my confirmation that yes Heavenly Father listens to our prayers, even our silent and frustrated prayers, because I needed that talk. I recommend listening to the talk, and then reading it. It is really a great one, and I love that Heavenly Father wanted us to hear this message, it is a great one.

Here is my favorite quote, so inspiring, and intimidating for all of us as we all influence children in some way.

"One of the greatest influences a person can have in this world is to influence a child. Children’s beliefs and self-worth are shaped early in their lives. Everyone within the sound of my voice has the power to increase a child’s confidence in himself or herself and to increase a child’s faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ through the words they speak." -Rosemary Wixom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea