Tantrums

Michael has started to throw tantrums recently. Well not tantrums so much as saying "NO!" and then hitting me. I expected him to have tantrums but I guess I wasnt quite prepared to actually deal with them. Now that we are in this phase I am not quite sure of what to do. Lately he has been exhausting, he is rarely happy with the options I give him, and when he is happy, about 5 (or less) minutes into whatever we are doing from eating breakfast to taking a bath he screams and hits and says "NO MOMMY! NO!". This tantrum thing seemed to have blossomed overnight (let's pretend that is why I am ill equipped to deal with it), and I dont know what to do. There is a part of me (let's say more than 50%) that wants to hide under the blankets and hope this ends soon, and there is another part of me that sits horrorstruck at how grumpy my sweet son has become. Oh and then there is the other part of me that is dumbfounded that he went from sweet to terror over night. So I dont know what to do and need some advice from the mothers out there that have survived the tantrums and continued to get out of bed, put on a happy face, and continue to love and play with the little terrors that have replaced their sweet toddlers. So advice... so far we have tried talking, time out, removing him from the situation, naps, etc....

Comments

  1. My advice is to give him a few months. Terrible advice, right? When Annie was 18 months I got all sorts of comments about what an awesome mother I was because I had such a charming, sweet girl. Those comments stopped abruptly around 2 years old. James is definitely entering the terrible twos right now, and I told Brad I'm not sure that I'm equipped to be a mother of a two-year old.

    I came downstairs a few days ago to find all of our (10) Trader Joe's pumpkin pancake mixes out of their boxes and one of the bags open and dumped all over the floor. As I took James up for a time out (amid screams and protests), I saw that each stair, the floor, and the wall had all been colored on as well.

    The good news is that they do grow out of it! Annie is unbelievably sweet again! So my honest advice is to be as patient as you can during the phase and remember that it is just that - a phase. This too shall pass. Good luck! If you need to vent, call me, we're in the middle of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree--give it time. Also, try to be consistent. Find something you don't mind doing, which seems to work for him, and use it each time. (We tell them to stop, count to 5, and then take them to a time-out place if bad behavior continues.) Scott was my most frustrating child--and really, it was just because it was the first time I had to deal with all of that "stuff." I am much more mellow about it now, knowing that with time it usually gets better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds