Thanksgiving 2014


We had Thanksgiving! We had Thanksgiving by ourselves this year. The first time we had Thanksgiving without our extended families I was a little bit sad, but it has been a few years and we have developed traditions and now it is a wonderful day with time spent with just our little family.  There is something wonderful about starting your own traditions, relaxing, cooking only what you want, and spending time celebrating as a tiny family.

We have started a tradition of putting our Christmas tree up on Thanksgiving Day. As Michael is 3 he understands the tree and this year he was beside himself waiting to decorate. So we brined the turkey pieces, ate breakfast, put Zachary down for a nap, and started decorating the tree. After the tree was done we went on a quick family bike ride to the park to enjoy the beautiful fall weather, went on the swings, had some lunch, and then I started cooking. The boys "napped" and I cooked up a tiny little storm. I was done about 3 hours later, and we ate. Zachary almost missed the meal, he woke up about 80% of the way through, but don't worry he enjoyed it.

We had turkey, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, cranberry, stuffing, peas and carrots, rolls, and Grandma Denny's Jell-O salad, with chocolate satin pie for dessert (Brian's request instead of the traditional pumpkin). The food was delicious (I'm not biased though) and the company was even better. While we missed our families scattered throughout the country we thoroughly enjoyed our Thanksgiving and the traditions we have been able to develop over these last few years.

2013 2012 2011

A few fun things about this Thanksgiving.
-I thought about skipping the stuffing this year, it has never been my favorite part but I at the last minute I changed my mind and made it anyway and I am glad I did! It was Michael's favorite part, he kept asking for more "stuff".

-Michael helped me make the rolls the night before, he did an excellent job rolling them, I was super impressed.









Michael helped with the rolls. 
 He really did shape them all by himself, you know you're impressed. 
 The food. Yes it could look better, but it was delicious. 

 We cooked and wore Pjs. 





 My sweet bike. I have been wanting a bike for a few years and I finally got one. I picked this one... pretty much the best one I could find. It's plaid.. you can't tell from the picture but it is and I think the basket really makes it. All it needs are streamers and bell and I will be living a childhood dream. Brian made fun of the bike but guess who rides it around (because he doesn't want to unhook the trailer). 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds