"Days are good, and that's the way it should be..."

The last month has been a disaster with my oldest child. Things have been at a standstill, both of us were too stubborn to back off and concede anything to the other. So every morning was terrible, and every afternoon was even worse. When he went to bed at night, I had to sit in the kitchen and just be alone. It got to where every single thing was a fight, everything from getting dressed to what we were eating, it was not even remotely enjoyable. I initially thought he was the problem, because let's be honest human nature tells us that we are right, but then I had this nagging feeling (which clearly I suppressed as long as possible) that it wasn't just him that was the problem.

I recently re-read Elder D. Todd Christofferson's October 2014 General Conference address titled, "Free Forever, to Act for Themselves" and one thing in particular stood out to me.

"My plea is simply to take responsibility and go to work so that there is something for God to help us with."

So I decided it was time to take some responsibility for our failing relationship, and I came to realize that alone we were not going to be successful. So I started praying about this issue, really sincerely praying, and it's starting to go better. It's Wednesday and we've had two good days. Yes there have been hiccups, frustration, and I've had to leave the room a few times, but the yelling is reduced and the general feeling of hostility has decreased. Michael and I have talked at length about how we need to be on the same team and what we can do to be a team- I can yell less and he can sleep more. And so far so good, maybe today will spiral out of control and both of us will be reduced to tears, or maybe things will keep getting better. I'm banking on the second one, because for the last two days I've enjoyed his company again and it's been a bit since that was the case.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea