A Letter to Zach, Updated
While I was looking for something else (I use this blog as my journal) I found this, a letter I wrote to Zach 6 weeks before he was born. Oh my heavens was this letter true! So here's the update.
You my friend are awesome. There is no other way to describe you, you are just awesome. You've been awesome since... well pretty much day one. While there were challenging moments with Michael, there have been fewer of those with you. You are just... mellow. You have a personality and preferences, but you seem to understand that sometimes other people's needs come before your own. You are (generally) willing to let me help Michael before I help you even if you are the one that actually needs the help. You fight to learn to do things for yourself. While I am still struggling to help Michael to want to do things for himself, you constantly surprise me with your new skills. For example today during dinner you took your shirt off, ok this wasn't the best time to do that, but I was pretty impressed that you were able to do that.
You sleep. That should pretty much end the conversation. You sleep and I am so grateful that you sleep. Not only do you sleep, but you sleep ALONE and through the night. We are still working with Michael on both of these things. You've recently wised up about bedtime. Six months ago you were content to be kissed goodnight and then put in bed, now... you want stories and songs, but you are realistic that they can't go on forever. Your recent love of books and vocabulary explosion is mind boggling, but you still aren't demanded. When offered something you don't want you respond with "no thank you", where you learned this is beyond me but I love it!
I worried (and still do) that we aren't focusing enough on academics or life skills with Michael. We are trying to encourage him to play alone, try hard things, and focus. I thought I would be the same with you, but it hasn't worked out that way. Maybe I'm tired, or maybe it isn't as big of a deal as I thought. I read to Michael from day one, but with you, well you didn't get as much attention in that department. We have missed story time... a lot... rarely attend age appropriate activities or read age appropriate books. But you seem to be ok. You quite a chatterbox, you love to read, and you seem content to tag along with your brother. Maybe it's because you've spent your whole life with a "friend" or maybe it's because those activities might not matter as much as I once thought but you seem to be ok.
You are dangerous. I had no idea that this would be the case. I thought that since Michael was timid you would pick that up... wrong. Two of your favorite phrases are "don't fall!" and "careful danger!"... yeah. I wanted you to be independent and you are. Nothing stops you. You make up your mind and go through with things. I can't wait to see what you do with your life.
I have to thank you for not letting Michael push you around. You stand your ground, he tries to get you in trouble, push you down, and for the most part he is unsuccessful. When he does succeed you are tough, you can handle most of what he throws at you (literally) and what you can't you know what to do. Thank you for teaching him the reality of life.
So little friend, let's make a deal. Let's stop climbing on all elevated surfaces and live a few more decades because I can't wait to see what happens.
Dear Zach Henry,
You sleep. That should pretty much end the conversation. You sleep and I am so grateful that you sleep. Not only do you sleep, but you sleep ALONE and through the night. We are still working with Michael on both of these things. You've recently wised up about bedtime. Six months ago you were content to be kissed goodnight and then put in bed, now... you want stories and songs, but you are realistic that they can't go on forever. Your recent love of books and vocabulary explosion is mind boggling, but you still aren't demanded. When offered something you don't want you respond with "no thank you", where you learned this is beyond me but I love it!
I have to thank you for not letting Michael push you around. You stand your ground, he tries to get you in trouble, push you down, and for the most part he is unsuccessful. When he does succeed you are tough, you can handle most of what he throws at you (literally) and what you can't you know what to do. Thank you for teaching him the reality of life.
So little friend, let's make a deal. Let's stop climbing on all elevated surfaces and live a few more decades because I can't wait to see what happens.
Comments
Post a Comment