Cooler than us
Brian and I joke that we hope are kids are cooler than we are. It's not that we aren't awesome but we were so far from the cool kids that it isn't funny. I want our kids to be comfortable in their own skin with their peers. I was blessed to have an amazing group of friends from Kindergarten through our senior year. Because of these great people I never really noticed that we were different than some of the other kids. They didn't care about the "cool" clothes or parties, they loved to read, wanted to go to college, and that was great. But if I hadn't had these great people school would have been hard. I never had good friends at church, not even as an adult, and that has made it really hard sometimes so I always hope that my kids have that personality where making friends is easy. I have worried about Michael for... well years because that's how I am. But he always seems fine. I was especially worried when he went off to kindergarten. I had a number of friends tell me horror stories of their kids being ostracized, left out of games at school, intentionally left out of birthday parties and playdates, and I didn't want that for Michael. Some kids might not notice but he would and he would be devastated. So he started school and I asked him daily about the kids, and watched closely at the end of school. And it seems he's fine. When he leaves school lots of kids scream "BYE MICHAEL SUKER" and he ducks his head in embarrassment. He says he has friends, and at this point I believe him. There are some things working in his favor at his school, first the uniforms, all that crap about the right clothes is gone, you either have a blue or white polo and khakis, no exceptions. The kids that go to his school are all a little different. Their parents are all a little bit different, and the peer group is not the same as the one he would have had. But for him it works. It works that they are all nerdy, it just works and he loves it. When I told him there was no school tomorrow he was sad, this is a big deal! So good job Buddy, good job being cooler than your lame parents.
Comments
Post a Comment