Valentine's Day
So Valentine's Day is coming up. I thought since this was Michael's first year at school they would have a fun party, do some valentine's crafts, maybe eat a cookie or two and exchange cards. I don't know why I thought that, his school is pretty much the anti fun and anti party school. They didn't celebrate Halloween... scratch that they were allowed to wear Halloween socks. They didn't exactly celebrate Thanksgiving, they had a "World History Day" and the kindergarten happened to be the Pilgrims and the Wampanogs. And for Christmas they learned about holiday traditions around the world. Don't get me wrong, since this is the school he goes to he thinks the lack of festivities is pretty normal. He is a little irritated that Zach gets to have parties at his school, but mostly he doesn't care. I appreciate the lack of effort this requires on my part as well, I have friends that go all out for their kids class parties, not only is there no party, but for the limited celebration that is allowed parents are cordially uninvited to attend. But for some reason I thought they would have a little Valentines' Day Party... this is the email the headmaster sent:
" For Valentine's Day, we are not going to have any candy or snacks on campus. This is a change, but I think a good one, because we want to use this occasion to talk with students about the virtue of friendship. Students should prepare a valentine for each member of the class and bring them to school. Teachers can organize a valentine's exchange at some point during the day. Rather than sugary treats, we encourage students to include handwritten notes. A great time for them to practice their handwriting and reflect on the virtue of friendship."
I'm sorry, but what 5 year old wants a handwritten note of friendship over a lollipop. Not to mention what 5 year old's parent wants to sit with them to write 22 hand written notes of friendship to another child that can barely read!!! Is it just me that thinks this is insane. If this is the plan, then why not just cancel Valentine's Day for kindergarten, why is this turning into tons of homework for me? So we compromised. We made fun valentines with dinosaurs (not a sugary treat) and Michael wrote the classmate's name and his name. Sorry Headmaster, but your plan was horrible, and boring, and did I mention that it's occasionally ok to have fun? At first we were doing the note, but after two notes... yeah that ended. I mean "Dear Mia M, thank you for being a great classmate! I enjoy being your friend!" was great and all... but no... clearly I am not ready for actual homework yet.
Comments
Post a Comment