Having a Daughter
Having a daughter has changed my perspective on a lot of things. There are things that I worry about for the boys, but having never been a boy myself, I admit, that I don't entirely know what is in store for them. Every stage is a new adventure for both of us. I am continually shocked by the things they face and their reactions to them. But with Grace, I know a little bit about the things she will face. Our lives and experiences will be different, but there will be some overlap. So with Grace I worry more than I do with the boys.
I saw a video on Facebook recently about girls in literature, and how girls are really lacking a presence let alone a central role in children's books. I started to think about some of our favorite books: Bedtime for Francis, Rosie Revere Engineer, Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, Llama Llama books, anything to do with Thomas the Train, Karma Wilson's Bear books, and of course Harry Potter. When I look at the books the kids read, I'm not too worried about strong female characters with goals and aspirations- our books have those. But then I am reminded that I selected these books. I chose the gender neutral Bear books, the Kevin Henkes books (Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, and Owen), and Harry Potter. I chose these books because I grew up on steady diet of Laura Ingalls Wilder and JK Rowling (I'm sure there were others sprinkled in there), I like books with strong women, and I want my children to read about them. So they read about strong willed Francis, and clever and kind Hermione, and rarely do the girls in their stories get saved, but instead they save themselves, and I love this. But having Grace has made me more conscious of these stories. With the boys there has never been any question that they can do whatever they want, and for me there is no question that Grace can do the same, but I find myself saying it out loud to her, when I don't know that I have made that conscious effort as frequently with her brothers.
I worry that the boys won't be confident in their own abilities- well actually not Zach, he's pretty self sufficient, but with Grace I really worry. I worry she won't be expected to live up to the same potential as her brothers. Having a girl is worrisome!
I saw a video on Facebook recently about girls in literature, and how girls are really lacking a presence let alone a central role in children's books. I started to think about some of our favorite books: Bedtime for Francis, Rosie Revere Engineer, Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, Llama Llama books, anything to do with Thomas the Train, Karma Wilson's Bear books, and of course Harry Potter. When I look at the books the kids read, I'm not too worried about strong female characters with goals and aspirations- our books have those. But then I am reminded that I selected these books. I chose the gender neutral Bear books, the Kevin Henkes books (Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, and Owen), and Harry Potter. I chose these books because I grew up on steady diet of Laura Ingalls Wilder and JK Rowling (I'm sure there were others sprinkled in there), I like books with strong women, and I want my children to read about them. So they read about strong willed Francis, and clever and kind Hermione, and rarely do the girls in their stories get saved, but instead they save themselves, and I love this. But having Grace has made me more conscious of these stories. With the boys there has never been any question that they can do whatever they want, and for me there is no question that Grace can do the same, but I find myself saying it out loud to her, when I don't know that I have made that conscious effort as frequently with her brothers.
I worry that the boys won't be confident in their own abilities- well actually not Zach, he's pretty self sufficient, but with Grace I really worry. I worry she won't be expected to live up to the same potential as her brothers. Having a girl is worrisome!
Comments
Post a Comment