Just a few recipes
As we get closer and closer to the arrival of this new baby I have been searching for new recipes... recipes that are a bit... well less time consuming than some of the ones that we have made in the past. Thanks to pinterest I have found and tried a few that are worth throwing into our regular rotation, some have been well, not my style, but a few have been great.
Recipe #1
The first was such a hit that Michael requested it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and was actually upset (there were tears) when I told him that we didnt have anymore. I am making it again tomorrow so he should be thrilled. I will preface by saying that the idea of white chicken chili did not appeal to me at first, something about it seems, well against chili, but it was yummy. Last year I tried a white chicken chili from america's test kitchen and it was delicious... but it also took about 4 hours to make, required 3 different types of chilies (that could not all be purchased at the same store), and a couple of other steps that really took it out of the running for a regular, let alone a time saving dinner. This one... well it is easier, and it is creamy, so way less healthy, which appealed to Michael (so win win). I will say it requires a roux (which clearly makes everything better, but also takes it from a "take and dump" recipe to real food in my opinion (I have a thing for canned stuff, i blame it entirely on my dad, who is great but doesnt eat much from a can).
I found it at "The girl who ate everything", her recipe feeds 8 i think, I cut it in half... cause we dont have 8 so this recipe is for 4(ish).
White Chicken Chili
1 onion (or half an onion if onion isnt your thing), chopped
2-3 cloves garlic (the original recipe called for one, but please let's add some flavor!)
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. butter
2 cups half and half (that's right, not milk)
3/4 c. low sodium chicken broth
2 cans white beans (I used great northern, but I hear navy works well, and she recommends garbonzo, which sounds... gross), drained and rinsed
1 (4oz) can green chilis (now you only have to go to one store, not 7)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and sliced*
1 c. grated monterrey jack cheese (I guess if you wanted to be healthy you could probably skip this)
1-2 t. Tabasco sauce/hot sauce (or like 4 t if you are me)
1-2 t. chili powder (i say more is better)
1 t. cumin
Toppings: cilantro, limes (well the juice), avocado, sour cream
1. Cook onion in butter until soft, add the garlic 30 seconds befor you are done, or it will burn and be gross. Cook until onion is soft but not brown (or olive oil because you did it out of habit and didnt read the instructions... may or may not have gone that route). set aside (yes take it from the pan to another bowl).
2. Make a roux... this is easy. Melt the butter, stir in flour until you have a paste, cook, WHILE STIRRING until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic back in.
3. Add half and half and chicken broth, simmer until thick.
4. Add chicken*, beans, chilis, cheese, spices, hot sauce, and cheese. Simmer until warmed through and eat... or in our case add the toppings and then eat.
*so a few years ago I would have carefully cooked my chicken in frying pan until it was done and then added it to the soup... now well now that is very time consuming. So I put the frozen chicken in the crockpot on low, add montreal steak seasoning, cover it and cook for 3 hours or until done and then cut it... much much faster. I recommend going this route.
Recipe #2
Ok so I am mormon and as a result I have heard of Hawaiian Haystacks, I think they are served at quite a few mormon functions, but I never was willing to try them... cause them seemed, well disgusting. It was the cream of chicken soup that got me, but then I found this recipe where you make your own sauce and that seemed to have more of an appeal. The making of the sauce is pretty easy, I would say it takes about the same amount of time to make as it does for me to find my can opener. Oh and then I threw out the cashews because the crunchy with the soft is gross, makes me think there is a bone or a broken tooth... anyway ditched that. I found the recipe here, and again I cut it down to 4 so if you want more than 4 visit the Picky Palate, her recipe says it feeds 4... but it really feeds like 6 or 8.
Hawaiian Haystacks
1/2 stick butter (4 T.)
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sour cream (i prefer the full fat version but more power to you for being healthy)
1/4 t. pepper
16 oz low sodium chicken broth
1 or 2 r. dry Ranch dressing seasoning (yes you read that right, and no you can't skip).
1/4 t. garlic powder
2 cooked and cubed boneless skinless chicken breasts
enough steamed rice for the family (we use jasmine rice for everything and it adds a nice flavor here).
toppings, you can use whatever you like, but we use:
green onions
black olives (well sometimes)
Mandarin oranges
pineapple chunks
shredded cheddar cheese
chow mein noodles (aka crunchy noodles)
1. Put butter in large saucepan (I prefer a metal one, you know not a nonstick), melt, and slowly whisk in flour until smooth and thick (you are making a roux). Slowly whisk in chicken broth until smooth, increase heath and whisk until thick. Add sour cream, Ranch seasoning, garlic powder, and chicken. stir and season as needed.
2. serve with rice.
Recipe #3
Ok this one wasnt as popular as the first two, but it is beef and michael doenst love beef so that's why. Brian and I liked it, but it is definitely a comfort food, not so much something spectacular. But it is good, and fast, and that is what i was going for. for the record we do serve veggies with all these meals but I figure i will come up with those on the fly.
Ok so I heard about cube steak in utah, but never tried it, a friend recommended a version that sounded a lot like the stroganoff my mom used to make, well a variation of what she made, but I couldnt force myself to even buy the cream of mushroom soup so i had to go another route. I did find myself using cream of chicken soup... so that was a big step for me, but cream of mushroom is the worst, dont do it.
Cube Steak with Gravy
cube steak to feed your family (we used about a pound)
1 can cream of chicken soup (i know can you believe i said that!)
1 can french onion soup
1/2 t. ground mustard
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1/2 c. flour
1 can water
1 onion
1. mix spices and flour together in a shallow dish (use a pie plate, save yourself the time finding the right dish). Salt and pepper meat well, then dredge in flour mixture. Lightly brown in pan with oil until you know lightly browned. Put in crockpot.
2. Cook the onion in the leftover oil in the pan you cooked the meat in... you are trying to pick up all the spices and flavor from the meat. Cook onion until soft, add to crockpot.
3. combine soups and water pour in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6(ish) hours. Serve with rice (or mashed potatoes if you are ambitious, clearly we had it with jasmine rice).
Recipe #1
The first was such a hit that Michael requested it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and was actually upset (there were tears) when I told him that we didnt have anymore. I am making it again tomorrow so he should be thrilled. I will preface by saying that the idea of white chicken chili did not appeal to me at first, something about it seems, well against chili, but it was yummy. Last year I tried a white chicken chili from america's test kitchen and it was delicious... but it also took about 4 hours to make, required 3 different types of chilies (that could not all be purchased at the same store), and a couple of other steps that really took it out of the running for a regular, let alone a time saving dinner. This one... well it is easier, and it is creamy, so way less healthy, which appealed to Michael (so win win). I will say it requires a roux (which clearly makes everything better, but also takes it from a "take and dump" recipe to real food in my opinion (I have a thing for canned stuff, i blame it entirely on my dad, who is great but doesnt eat much from a can).
I found it at "The girl who ate everything", her recipe feeds 8 i think, I cut it in half... cause we dont have 8 so this recipe is for 4(ish).
White Chicken Chili
1 onion (or half an onion if onion isnt your thing), chopped
2-3 cloves garlic (the original recipe called for one, but please let's add some flavor!)
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. butter
2 cups half and half (that's right, not milk)
3/4 c. low sodium chicken broth
2 cans white beans (I used great northern, but I hear navy works well, and she recommends garbonzo, which sounds... gross), drained and rinsed
1 (4oz) can green chilis (now you only have to go to one store, not 7)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and sliced*
1 c. grated monterrey jack cheese (I guess if you wanted to be healthy you could probably skip this)
1-2 t. Tabasco sauce/hot sauce (or like 4 t if you are me)
1-2 t. chili powder (i say more is better)
1 t. cumin
Toppings: cilantro, limes (well the juice), avocado, sour cream
1. Cook onion in butter until soft, add the garlic 30 seconds befor you are done, or it will burn and be gross. Cook until onion is soft but not brown (or olive oil because you did it out of habit and didnt read the instructions... may or may not have gone that route). set aside (yes take it from the pan to another bowl).
2. Make a roux... this is easy. Melt the butter, stir in flour until you have a paste, cook, WHILE STIRRING until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic back in.
3. Add half and half and chicken broth, simmer until thick.
4. Add chicken*, beans, chilis, cheese, spices, hot sauce, and cheese. Simmer until warmed through and eat... or in our case add the toppings and then eat.
*so a few years ago I would have carefully cooked my chicken in frying pan until it was done and then added it to the soup... now well now that is very time consuming. So I put the frozen chicken in the crockpot on low, add montreal steak seasoning, cover it and cook for 3 hours or until done and then cut it... much much faster. I recommend going this route.
Recipe #2
Ok so I am mormon and as a result I have heard of Hawaiian Haystacks, I think they are served at quite a few mormon functions, but I never was willing to try them... cause them seemed, well disgusting. It was the cream of chicken soup that got me, but then I found this recipe where you make your own sauce and that seemed to have more of an appeal. The making of the sauce is pretty easy, I would say it takes about the same amount of time to make as it does for me to find my can opener. Oh and then I threw out the cashews because the crunchy with the soft is gross, makes me think there is a bone or a broken tooth... anyway ditched that. I found the recipe here, and again I cut it down to 4 so if you want more than 4 visit the Picky Palate, her recipe says it feeds 4... but it really feeds like 6 or 8.
Hawaiian Haystacks
1/2 stick butter (4 T.)
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sour cream (i prefer the full fat version but more power to you for being healthy)
1/4 t. pepper
16 oz low sodium chicken broth
1 or 2 r. dry Ranch dressing seasoning (yes you read that right, and no you can't skip).
1/4 t. garlic powder
2 cooked and cubed boneless skinless chicken breasts
enough steamed rice for the family (we use jasmine rice for everything and it adds a nice flavor here).
toppings, you can use whatever you like, but we use:
green onions
black olives (well sometimes)
Mandarin oranges
pineapple chunks
shredded cheddar cheese
chow mein noodles (aka crunchy noodles)
1. Put butter in large saucepan (I prefer a metal one, you know not a nonstick), melt, and slowly whisk in flour until smooth and thick (you are making a roux). Slowly whisk in chicken broth until smooth, increase heath and whisk until thick. Add sour cream, Ranch seasoning, garlic powder, and chicken. stir and season as needed.
2. serve with rice.
Recipe #3
Ok this one wasnt as popular as the first two, but it is beef and michael doenst love beef so that's why. Brian and I liked it, but it is definitely a comfort food, not so much something spectacular. But it is good, and fast, and that is what i was going for. for the record we do serve veggies with all these meals but I figure i will come up with those on the fly.
Ok so I heard about cube steak in utah, but never tried it, a friend recommended a version that sounded a lot like the stroganoff my mom used to make, well a variation of what she made, but I couldnt force myself to even buy the cream of mushroom soup so i had to go another route. I did find myself using cream of chicken soup... so that was a big step for me, but cream of mushroom is the worst, dont do it.
Cube Steak with Gravy
cube steak to feed your family (we used about a pound)
1 can cream of chicken soup (i know can you believe i said that!)
1 can french onion soup
1/2 t. ground mustard
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1/2 c. flour
1 can water
1 onion
1. mix spices and flour together in a shallow dish (use a pie plate, save yourself the time finding the right dish). Salt and pepper meat well, then dredge in flour mixture. Lightly brown in pan with oil until you know lightly browned. Put in crockpot.
2. Cook the onion in the leftover oil in the pan you cooked the meat in... you are trying to pick up all the spices and flavor from the meat. Cook onion until soft, add to crockpot.
3. combine soups and water pour in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6(ish) hours. Serve with rice (or mashed potatoes if you are ambitious, clearly we had it with jasmine rice).
Comments
Post a Comment