Why I bought my 2 year old a leash...
So I bought my son a leash… It’s ok you can judge me. In our
house we affectionately refer to the leash as “Scruffy the safety backpack”,
but yes it is a child leash. I bought it because well… have you have been
through an airport, let alone DFW, with a 2 year old while being 6 months
pregnant (maybe just 5)? Yeah there are few experiences I can think of that are
less pleasant. First off, in the event that you are lucky enough to take your
stroller through security, the chances of the 2 year old actually wanting to be
in the stroller are well… slim.
So
there’s that, and then there is security itself. Oh airport security, something
clearly not designed with parents in mind. So without the backpack you are
shoving all your stuff on to the belt, while people look at you and rush you,
while trying to get your 2 year old to stay sorta near you. Sometimes they dart
through the metal detector without you into the airport while you are
struggling to get the stuff through and then you are… screwed. There is no other
way to put it. You still have to wait in line, you still have to go through the
line, and no one will grab your child. You are saying silent, or not so silent
prayers, that something will click in that child’s head to make them stop, sit
down, or turn around… it rarely happens. Enter scruffy. Yes scruffy has to be
removed to go through security… but you can do that at the last possible
minute. You can load all your junk on the belt and then either “forget” to
remove scruffy until you go through the metal detector at which point the TSA
agent will hold him until you go through or you can put him on the belt after
loading everything else. The leash is great, instead of running into the busy
airport your toddler just runs oh about 2 feet from you but is attached. There
is no fear, no prayers that your child wont get kidnapped, and no panic
attacks. It is the way to go. Totally worth all the people judging you.
And Scruffy is good at more than just the airport… We flew
to Washington DC for my brother’s wedding, which hopefully I will eventually
post about, and of course while we were there we wanted to take Mikey to the
National Mall and a couple museums… enter Scruffy. Again with the stroller, he
is getting to the point where we need the stroller cause he doesn’t always want
to walk and he is much to heavy to carry (at least for me) long distances, but
he doesn’t want to be in the stroller. Places with lots of people are not great
for this new found freedom. The National Mall is really not a good place. So we
took Scruffy, and it made life better, totally worth all the people judging us.
Seriously, Scruffy was the best $10 I spent this month. He enjoyed the Mall, I
didn’t have a panic attack, and the funny thing is that while wearing the
backpack he wants to hold our hand… how that works I don’t know, but I am not
questioning it. Oh and Scruffy doubles a pillow when they eventually collapse…
So this experience with Scruffy has taught me a few things.
Or opened my eyes further to a few things. First, why do we judge parents so
harshly. I will be first to admit that until I tried scruffy I would have
probably judged those leash parents… now… not so much. But really. Have you
seen those mothers in the grocery store with the screaming toddler and then
seen the people without kids that roll their eyes and walk by, or better yet
the ones with kids that act as if that never happens to them. The ones without
kids I want to go up to and say, something like “trust me, the screaming is
louder in the mom’s head than you can ever imagine”, or something more polite
like “you think you have the solution, you go shut the kid up”. And to the
parents with kids that are snotty I want to say “oh friend, tomorrow could be
your day”. I wonder why we are so rude,
I think sometimes it is because we fail to remember that kids are their own
people with their own decision making ability. So while the mom would love to
get the kid to silently sit in the cart, or better yet sleep through the whole
experience her control over that is well… limited at best.
Second thing I learned, not my kid not my problem. Sounds
harsh, but really it isn’t my problem. Can I solve it? Not so much. Should I
judge? Really not so much. Is tomorrow likely going to be my special day with
that fun? Yeah probably. So not my kid not my problem. This works awesome at
church too. I am pretty sure my ward has adopted this philosophy pretty much…
you know as a whole. After being gone a few weeks on Sunday I was awakened to
the noise level in the room…AWESOME if you have kids. No really, no one child
individually can be heard (unless they scream Amen after all the prayers like
mine does), and since there are so many kids you expect the noise level to be…
well sorta like a school cafeteria, or tiny rock concert, Walmart is silent in
comparison. I love it. Love it.
Third thing, why do we always assume it is the parent’s
fault. I mean clearly it sometimes is, but sometimes… sometimes that little
minion (I really do love my child) has control over the situation and all the
mom wants to do is walk away, lock herself in the bathroom, and cry. But yet
she is forced to calmly (or sorta calmly) deal with the situation publicly. No,
I think we should give her a ribbon, or better yet buy her some ice cream or
let her take a nap, pat her on the back and say, “way to go sticking it out
while Judgy Judgerson walked down this aisle 3 times unnecessarily to gawk at
you. Oh and you have full permission to bash into their cart, laugh, and run
away”.
Clearly the answer is for everyone to buy a scruffy…
We have a monkey leash for Will. It is SO helpful in airports and other crowded places.
ReplyDeleteUsing scruffy is a great idea! I think a leash is the BEST thing you can do for Mikey's safety and your sanity. Like you said, it makes it possible to enjoy an outing.
ReplyDelete