 |
| Poppy Pillow on an airplane ride to Utah, Sept. 2013 |
When Michael was a little bit younger, about 8 or 9 months I
really wanted him to have a security object. I thought this might help when we
ended nursing and I thought it might ease his anxiety at bedtime. We tried a
few things, my mom got him a glowworm that he did really like for a little bit,
and we got him a stuffed dog, and while he thought both were fun he didn’t
really develop an attachment to either one. Then last Christmas my dad got him…
a Poppy Pillow. My dad loves orange, well maybe loves isn’t the right word, but
he prefers it more than the average person, and he found this Pillow Pet that
was… well glowing orange, it was so bright that when you sit next to it the
color reflects off your face (I wish I was kidding). And he wanted to get it
for Mikey. When we went to California for Christmas he made a big deal about
taking Mikey to the store to pick it out, and from then on we had our security
object. The glowing pillow pet was nicknamed Poppy Pillow and it has gone…
everywhere with us since. This is great unless for some reason the Poppy Pillow
needs to be washed, and inevitably since it is so well loved anytime there is a
problem (aka vomit) it is the first thing that needs to be washed. We have sat
outside the dryer waiting for it on more than one occasion. Naps cannot be
taken without it, bedtime cannot continue without it, and forget traveling,
life cannot continue unless the Poppy Pillow is readily available. When Mikey
comes and watches a show on the couch or for some reason gets to visit our room
the first thing he grabs is the Poppy Pillow. I tried to find a duplicate a few
months back because anything this well loved wont last forever and I failed
miserably. I couldn’t find a glowing orange Pillow Pet (for an affordable price).
I did find the same animal but brown, he likes it, but it isn’t a replacement.
He nicknamed it Grammy Pillow and it is the pillow Mommy and Daddy get to use
when we are in his room. He wants the set, but Grammy Pillow isn’t going to be
making any cross country trips any time soon. Poppy Pillow has been on every
trip since we got it (and given our history of traveling this has actually
ended up being quite a few). Within the past 6 weeks he has traveled to Utah
twice and to Maryland. Each time we leave the very first thing he asks for when
we attempt bedtime is Poppy Pillow. No one else is allowed to it (well Brian
and I can sometimes, but not sleep on it). This past week his cousin Ben got
ahold of it for maybe 12 seconds, I thought Michael’s world was going to end,
the concept of sharing does not apply to this particular thing. When his
friends come over and end up in his room he quickly informs them that they
cannot touch Poppy Pillow. I guess I got what I wanted- a child attached to
something other than me, though to be honest what he actually wants is for us
to sleep with him AND Poppy Pillow. I think Zach will need his own version of
the Poppy Pillow but maybe when we get whatever his security object ends up
being we will buy 4 of them at one time.
 |
| Poppy Pillow at Jared and Nannie's Sept. 2013 |
 |
| Poppy Pillow Gaithersburg, MD Sept 2013 |
 |
| Poppy Pillow Gaithersburg, MD Sept 2013 |
 |
| Poppy Pillow Gaithersburg, MD Sept 2013 |
 |
| Poppy Pillow Gaithersburg, MD Sept 2013 |
I saw this at Target today! (Couldn't miss it...) I don't know if you still want another, but if you do, now is your chance!
ReplyDelete