Fun Sucker
As the mom I often feel like the fun sucker. No let's rephrase, as the mom I almost always feel like the fun sucker. If you havent seen the Jamie Lee Curtis/Lindsay Lohan version of freaky friday I highly recommend you do (it's on netflix now, just saw the ad) so you can truly understand what a "fun sucker" is. But I digress. As a mom of young children it is my job to make sure they are safe, fed, and generally healthy...these things often come in conflict with fun, at least for my 3 year old. Why can't we skip meals, substitute food for pure sugar, watch tv 24/7, run in the street, play with fire, swim without floaties, forget bedtime, and play with sharp knives... well yes those things would all be loads of fun, especially the visits to the doctor, the screaming meltdowns, and the constant whining about being hungry that would result from these behaviors but we can't do that. Michael often looks at me and says "Dad would let me". Whether dad would or not is kinda besides the point, the fact that he views dad as fun and mom as... well not so fun is sometimes a bit, well depressing. Sometimes I think that I am doing all these things to make sure his life runs smoothly for no reason. He would prefer pure chaos, and sometimes I want to be the fun parent. But then I try and remember that I'm the parent and not the fun aunt, grandparent, babysitter, or friend. When I was a kid and I would tell my dad he was being mean, unfair, or a fun sucker, he would look at me with a totally serious face and say "well I'm your father, not your friend". That used to frustrate me to no end, not as much as when he said things like "never the less", but quite a bit, I wanted to know why for 5 minutes could he not just be my friend! But now that I am on the other side I'm starting to get it a bit more. Why can't you be the friend? cause you're the parent. The time to be friends with your kids is in a few years, sure I want to enjoy the time I spend with my boys, I want to do fun things (despite what they may think) and I want them to like being with me, but my overall goal is to raise healthy, happy boys... if that means they think mom is boring, lame, and too strict, i guess that is what will happen. But I still think why can't they think I'm a little bit fun....
I remember those days. I was the "fun sucker."
ReplyDelete