I need my life back!

I love to read, I really do, but when I read I like to read the whole book at once. This is okay since I read fast, but kinda bad if it turns out that I pick up a book I really really cant put down. I have read two of these books this week. One was good, but one I could sorta put down. The second... well I couldnt put it down as easily.

The first book was "The Secret Lives and Sorrows of Josephine B." It was good, it is a fictional account of the life of Josephine Bonaparte from approximately age 15 until she marries Napoleon around age 31. IT was good, interesting, humnaized her. Taught me a lot I didnt know, like that she was married to an important figure during the French Revolution prior to her marriage to Napoleon. It was a bit depressing I must say. The fictional element was good, but she had a rough life and I think it is hard to disguise that. Anyway it is the first in a series, I might read the other 2, but I might not- though I would recommend this first book.

The second book was "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. It is our book club book for this month and I couldnt put it down. At first I was wary of another dystopian young adult novel- I read the Uglies, The Hunger Games books, and the Matched series (though I am still waiting to read the 3rd one). With the exception of the Hunger Games I havent been super impressed. The books are entertaining, and yes I want to know what happens, but I have found the characters irritating, disposable, and one dimensional- I didnt find this to be the case with Divergent. It was good-in my opinion. Yes the main character was a 16 yr old girl, and sometimes that part of her irritated me, but in general I liked her, i thought she appealed to a wider audience (much like Katniss from Hunger Games). I started the book on Thursday, and I had to just sit down and finish it today, I kept pausing life to sneak a chapter or 2- finished it, and now my life can continue as normal, uninterrupted by the book- until I get the 2nd one in which case life may be paused again.

I am in charge of book club in March and I dont think that my book "Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen" is going to have that same cant put it down appeal- it's a sweet book, but not a page turner- I needed to pick something different- and that one is at least sweet and uplifting.

This week reminds me why lately I have been reading less. I am not good at doing one thing at a time and reading requires that you do that- I dont watch tv, I cook while listening, clean, craft, blog etc, I have to be productive- this week my productivity is way down.... way way down, oh well it will be weeks before I get the next book in the divergent series from the library and a little bit of reading once in awhile is good, I hope.

Comments

  1. Have you read Delirium by Lauren Oliver? It is another dystopian young adult series (but those are my favorite!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds