Welcome to Music Class, Hello, Hello, Hello!


Over the past 18 months a few things have changed around here. I have traded in my business suits and dress up clothes for jeans, sweatshirts, and yes even shorts in the summer. I have traded in my long meeting and class filled days for days filled with playdough, stories, and songs. And yes even the subject of my blog posts has changed considerably over that time. I wouldn’t change it. I can 100% say that this, all this craziness, all the mess, the carrying cars and cheese sticks in my purse, having conversations about going potty, driving a minivan, and changing diapers- this is what I want to be doing. I had my moment to do something else, it was great, liked it a ton, but this, hanging out with my sweet son, is what I am supposed to do now.

Why talk about this today? Well today we went to music class. 18 months ago I wouldn’t have been able to picture myself in a music class- singing, marching, puppets? Not so much. If you know me, you know that this is against my personality, actually so much about mothering isn’t in my personality, there are some women who grow up motherly, they know instantly what to do, how to relate to children, how to comfort them, and how to just be a mom- me not so much. I have to work at it, consciously think about how Michael sees the world, etc, so going to music class, let’s just say it is a huge step outside my very narrow comfort zone. But Michael loves it. He asks every day “la la la?” (that’s one of the songs we sing), and when we pull up to music class he is thrilled, he screams “la la la puppets!” until we get into the house and then he is silent. A sweet friend in our ward plans and holds music class every week, she does an awesome job. She has a monthly theme, props, great books etc, really just an awesome job. And she is so patient, so incredibly patient even though most of the kids that go… well are like Michael, they are learning to participate in organized activities, so sometimes things can be a bit rough. But she is great, always powers through, always sings, always cheerful, always goes with the flow. And we have learned so much during our 4(ish) months in music class, fun new songs, motor skills like marching, and how to relate to other children (Michael not me). We sing the songs all week, check stories out from the library, and try to apply things we learn there to our life- ex. this month is about weather, we have talked about weather, experienced weather, and read weather books, all to reinforce what weather is.  Really music class has been such a blessing for us. 

So today let me just say that I am grateful for music class. Grateful for the changes in life that made it so I get to attend music class, and even grateful for the changes in me that have made it so I want to go to music class. Oh and if you get the chance to go, I HIGHLY recommend it. 

Comments

  1. That's adorable. Now are you trying to potty train Mikey? Just making sure I followed the story right? And you mentioned you are talking about it? Just wondering! I'm thinking you are one BRAVE Momma! Music class sounds wonderful. I am just busting up laughing thinking of doing a class with Ben...and wondering if he'd even get anything. I do know one thing he LOVES the wheels on the bus song....that I do know! Cute story. Oh, it's so good to read your blog again...I thought you had fallen off the earth...anyways, I'm glad I finally updated my blog with your new blog address!!! We sure miss you guys! Oh and tell Brian that your post about exercise and weight loss has motivated Jared to take it seriously again! And it ALSO got me to wake up early today to go run my miles early today...and not delay till later in the day! So thanks Bri for the motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that's sweet. I knew Michael enjoyed it, and I'm glad you do, too! And p.s.--life keeps changing...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea