I think my son is smarter than me
As a parent, one of my great hopes is that my son will end up smarter and more successful than his parents, and daily I think that is going to happen... and soon. I know every parent thinks their kid is a genius, and I am not saying that Michael is going to cure cancer at age 5, but I am pretty sure I have one smart cookie on my hands.
Daily I find myself thinking something like this “ok friend
how did you make that connection?” He is
a tiny (well not so tiny) sponge, just soaking up information and making
connections. For example, we spend a bit of time video chatting with my family,
they are good to just chat with mikey or wait for him to come back into view
and we appreciate it greatly. The other day he picked up a phone (that wasn’t on)
and had the following pretend conversation “Hello!, O Muggle, chat? Ok, bye bye”.
Most conversations with my family go like this “Hey, do you want to video chat?
5 minutes, ok. Bye”. He has been listening, picking up words, and making
connections. He consistently goes to the computer and says “Poppy/Gammy/Emmy/ O
Muggle/Bardy/Daddy computer, chat, phone, hello!”. He knows…
Okay so maybe that example isn’t actually that genius, I
should probably be writing these things down as they happen, but I don’t.
He is also starting to understand emotions a bit, for
example the other day he did not want to go to bed, he screamed, and when I went
in to comfort him he said the following “Mommy, sad, cry.” He brought it up
again later, “Mommy? Nigh night, sad cry”. He wanted me to know that he was sad
when he was put to bed and he cried. When asked what people to do when they are
said he immediately responds with “cry”.
He is starting to learn his letters. I havent been actively teaching him, but because we read a lot of ABC books he has picked some up. He can recognize L-T, better if they are in order. He knows all of his body parts, lots of animal sounds etc. He loves to read and can I just say that this kid is bossy. He knows what he wants and how to get it. Oh what a funny funny guy.

Being a mother of 4. And raising them all. And thinking they are fairly bright. You must have a genius on your hands because he really is just smart! Isn't it amazing how at the age of 18 months kids GET how life works. They have been given all the answers and they just know all the basics. IT continues to surprise me each and every single time I teach a new baby new things. It's always fun! Cute little guy! Ben has officially said his first words...Dadda - Momma - Hi - Hat. Because I'm his mom I can understand the last two. :)
ReplyDelete