Asthma... It's not Awesome
Once upon a time there was a family that rarely went to the doctor with the exception of well kid check ups. When they filled out medical forms the mom simply drew a line through medical conditions and marked NA. Prescriptions were a rare thing, sure there was the occasional ear infection or bout of strep throat, but 10 days was the max a prescription lasted. Then all of sudden that changed. Sure the family remained relatively healthy, and the kiddos were full of energy, but now there was the fun new addition of asthma. Doctor's visits became more routine, the family knew the fastest route to the pediatric ER, daily medications began to become common place, and a simple cold kept the family up at night. All because of asthma.
Ok that is a little bit dramatic, but I thought it was time to write a little bit more about Zach's very brief journey with asthma. Up until recently none of our kids have had any health issues (well with the exception of Michael's lifelong sleep boycott). We've been blessed with good health, and despite Zach's issues breathing he has still enjoyed good health! He hasn't had to stay overnight in the hospital, thought I can see a day when that might be the case, we have been able to manage the condition relatively easily from home now that we have the right tools, and we have a great pediatrician. But still I can that asthma has changed the way we do things in small ways.
We don't know what triggers his asthma, the assumption is that it is either an airborne allergen or a viral infection. He has been tested for strep, RSV, and influenza... more than once, and it always comes back negative. We live in Austin so the chances of an airborne allergen causing the flareups is... well pretty darn high. We are pretty sure it isn't a food allergy, though I have gotten suggestions from a number of people that eliminating eggs, dairy, or gluten will clear the issue right up. Can I just say that asthma is scary, and asthma in a two year old who won't have an official diagnosis of asthma for years is terrifying. Here's the thing, Zach can go to bed perfectly healthy and wake up the next morning gasping for breath, unable to talk because he is coughing so much, and screaming because I am sure that as scary as it is for us it is 100 times more scary to be two and all of a sudden not be able to catch your breath. Predicting when these incidents will occur is... well a crapshoot. You can't predict them, but you can learn what to do when they occur. I view every snotty kid as a potential week of limited sleep and monitoring Zach's breathing. Every time I hear that someone is choosing not to vaccinate their child I want to scream and keep him away from them for fear that he will catch something that makes his breathing deteriorate. As we've been discussing potential family trips this year in the back of my mind is "what if something happens to Zach, we won't be close to his pediatrician or the hospital we use", I know it's paranoid but we are new to things.
But as I've said we are blessed. Asthma hasn't slowed this kid down. Once he got the hang of breathing treatments he's been a champ. He reminds me in the morning "Mom, I need to breathe", I'm sure this has more to do with Daniel Tiger and less to do with him liking to take his medicine, but it's a step in the right direction. We have access to the necessary resources to nip this problem in the bud, and a pediatrician who seems concerned that we get him the treatment necessary to prevent future episodes. So despite the fear I have that asthma may somehow inhibit Zach's ability to do whatever he wants things are good. Plus he gets to say he's Darth Vader so I'm 80% sure he thinks the breathing mask is awesome.
Yesterday when we went to give Zach his medicine he put his headphones on and said "Mom LOOK I dancing!". I tried to get him to do it again so I could take a video, he wasn't quite as excited the second time. I am pretty sure the first time corresponded to the Daniel Tiger theme song, but it is still so cute and so sad at the same time.
Ok that is a little bit dramatic, but I thought it was time to write a little bit more about Zach's very brief journey with asthma. Up until recently none of our kids have had any health issues (well with the exception of Michael's lifelong sleep boycott). We've been blessed with good health, and despite Zach's issues breathing he has still enjoyed good health! He hasn't had to stay overnight in the hospital, thought I can see a day when that might be the case, we have been able to manage the condition relatively easily from home now that we have the right tools, and we have a great pediatrician. But still I can that asthma has changed the way we do things in small ways.
We don't know what triggers his asthma, the assumption is that it is either an airborne allergen or a viral infection. He has been tested for strep, RSV, and influenza... more than once, and it always comes back negative. We live in Austin so the chances of an airborne allergen causing the flareups is... well pretty darn high. We are pretty sure it isn't a food allergy, though I have gotten suggestions from a number of people that eliminating eggs, dairy, or gluten will clear the issue right up. Can I just say that asthma is scary, and asthma in a two year old who won't have an official diagnosis of asthma for years is terrifying. Here's the thing, Zach can go to bed perfectly healthy and wake up the next morning gasping for breath, unable to talk because he is coughing so much, and screaming because I am sure that as scary as it is for us it is 100 times more scary to be two and all of a sudden not be able to catch your breath. Predicting when these incidents will occur is... well a crapshoot. You can't predict them, but you can learn what to do when they occur. I view every snotty kid as a potential week of limited sleep and monitoring Zach's breathing. Every time I hear that someone is choosing not to vaccinate their child I want to scream and keep him away from them for fear that he will catch something that makes his breathing deteriorate. As we've been discussing potential family trips this year in the back of my mind is "what if something happens to Zach, we won't be close to his pediatrician or the hospital we use", I know it's paranoid but we are new to things.
Yesterday when we went to give Zach his medicine he put his headphones on and said "Mom LOOK I dancing!". I tried to get him to do it again so I could take a video, he wasn't quite as excited the second time. I am pretty sure the first time corresponded to the Daniel Tiger theme song, but it is still so cute and so sad at the same time.
I didn't know about Zach's asthma. That's kind of scary!
ReplyDelete