Grace's Birth

Since I wrote about the boys, it seems fitting that I would write about Grace’s birth too. And seeing as how Grace is the only one that will actually give birth herself someday she might be interested in the story- maybe not though. 

I have to admit that as I was in the delivery room waiting for Grace it seemed like the details were slipping away, so this may not be as detailed as the boys. 

So here’s the thing, I was so sure Grace would come before her induction date. The contractions were strong, she’d dropped, but nothing. And every day was still more nothing. It was a little bit (ok a lot) defeating. And the comments from people got a little bit annoying, there were the clerks at HEB who commented that I was “still” pregnant, the random people who told me I was about to pop, you know, you’ve likely been there. When Monday morning finally arrived I was ready. I was a little anxious but not too bad, I’d done it before, I knew what to expect. 

We were scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 6am Monday morning. We went to bed around 11pm Sunday night and I actually slept- a little bit, not great, but more than I had expected. I got up around 4:30am, took a shower, got ready (why I don't know), and made sure my bag was packed. I woke Brian up at 5am, he got ready and we headed out around 5:30am. I made sure to eat something for breakfast thinking that it was going to be a very long day without any food (well I was right). We stopped at the gas station by our house for some Redbox movies, we’d heard that the hospital WiFi was kinda terrible. It was a little surreal to be sitting at a Redbox at 5:30am trying to pick a movie to watch knowing that we were going to meet Grace in just a little bit. But we powered through. We finished the long drive to the hospital, ok in fairness I’m about 80% sure I could have seen my neighborhood from my postpartum room, and I am 100% sure that the hospital is actually within walking distance (If you like dangerous busy roads) from my house. So that took about 1 minute. We parked and went in through the Emergency Room because the main hospital entrance was not open yet. While in the ER we waited to be let up to L&D. It turns out that the night before Grace was born was a busy one for this little hospital and that the labor rooms were all full except… 1. My doctor had asked if I wanted to schedule my induction back in January or February, it seemed a tad bit early, but it turns out she was right! They saved me a delivery room because my induction had been scheduled first, the other moms had to wait until one opened up (the elective inductions, not the women in labor). So that was pretty wonderful, I have to admit I would have been a wee bit devastated if they had sent me home until a room opened up. We signed all the paperwork, found and elevator, and headed upstairs. 

When we got to Labor and Delivery they apologized for being so busy, to be honest it didn't seem busy, but I think they must have really good soundproofing. They assigned us to Labor Room 1 and I got changed. As soon as I got changed and was hooked up to the fetal monitor I started to feel really ill. The room started to spin, I got really really got, I felt nauseous and it just got worse and worse… and then I threw up- good thing I’d eaten breakfast. Keep in mind they hadn't done ANYTHING at this point except hook me up to the fetal monitoring and take my blood pressure. The very nice nurse adjusted the bed, put ice on my back, and told me this was totally normal when your blood pressure is low. For some reason my blood pressure which is normally pretty low dropped, anyway after about 10 minutes I felt normal again. I told Brian this wasnt a good sign of things to come, if all they’d done was make me change my clothes and I was about to pass out what was going to happen when they actually started pitocin. Luckily I was wrong. The nurse also said that I was contracting every 2-3 minutes. This was awesome because that’s what I had been estimating but the contractions were pretty manageable at this point. 

So we had to wait a little bit after that. Because I came in at 6am and the nurses change shifts at 7am we had a bit of a lull. Add to that I needed to be monitored for 40 minutes before they were able to start anything we had some time. We started movie- Victor Frankenstein. Let’s just say it seemed promising, but was actually terrible. My new nurse came in and let me know she had 30 years of experience as a Labor and Delivery nurse. I have to admit this didn't reassure me. The first nurse was so nice and kind, and the second was a little bit… well less so, competent but I think the other one would have been a bit more pleasant. At this point she decided to check and see how long we had to go that day. I was at 2.5cm, so I had a good long while left to go. She started an IV, got the pitocin going around 7:30am, and told me to sit tight until my doctor arrived. My doctor arrived around 7:45am, did her own quick check and then broke my water. Here’s the thing, I’d never had my water broken before, with the boys it happened on it’s own so I wasnt sure what to expect. She made an attempt but no success. The nurse tried to help, but still it wouldn't break. They joked that this was the “Fort Knox” of water bags. Finally the nurse was standing kneeling on the bed while pushing on my stomach, and the doctor was standing on the bed pushing and it broke… and yes after I had Grace I noticed handprint shaped blue bruises on my stomach. This was incredibly painful, so no I wouldn't recommend it. However the doctor said this was the hardest water she had ever broken so there’s that. So now that my water had been broken and the pitocin started we were on our way. By now it was close to 8am. We started watching the Frankenstein movie, had to stop it a few times to comment how terrible it was. At some point around 10am I had to use the bathroom. Let me just tell you, there are so many humiliating things about the birthing process but this is one of my least favorites. Brian had to unplug all the monitors, move the IV poll, all while I am trying to carefully (and quickly) walk to the bathroom while amniotic fluid is gushing out. Since they had broken my water while I was lying down every time I stood up, or sat up fluid would well… come out. Yes embarrassing. 

So by 10am contractions were starting to get more intense. Still manageable, but less pleasant. We finished the terrible Frankenstein movie and started The Heart of the Sea. The nurse checked me again around 11 and decided I was at 4cm. This was not great. We kept commenting how everyone had guessed we would have Grace by lunch, considering lunch was creeping up on us and I was at 4cm we didn't think they'd be right. Brian and I discussed moving our guesses back (Brian was firm with his, but I adjusted mine to 5pm) and we talked about when the boys could meet Grace if things didn't speed up. By noon the contractions were not awesome, actually they were pretty terrible. I asked the nurse for an epidural around 1pm. Here’s the thing with the epidural, I had one with each of the boys but neither were ideal. The first one worked a little bit too well, it could have been that it was on for so long because Michael took forever, my legs were numb for days.  The second didn't work but since I only had the first one to judge against I didn't realize how ineffective it was until the doctor was stitching me up at the end. So I was skeptical about getting an epidural the third time. I also don't love the residual back pain I had experienced with both previous epidurals. The nurse kept reminding me that it would take some time for the doctor to come in and for the epidural to work so if I wanted one I should ask sooner rather than later. So I did, I asked when I could still breathe through the contractions, but by the time it kicked in I was pretty happy. So about 40 minutes after I asked for the epidural I got one, by now it was about 1:40pm. Brian very nicely stayed with me while I got the epidural even though needles really aren't his thing. The first time they put the epidural in it wasnt quite right so they did it again. There’s something about being told not to move when you have a contraction that is laughable to me, but we tried it. I also couldn't process which way the doctor was telling me to bend, to be honest my brain wasnt working at that point. I was having strong contractions every 45-60 seconds and I just wanted to be done. I was tired, and hungry, and annoyed with the nurse. But it all worked out. The nurse checked me around 2pm and I was at 5cm. At that point I wasnt too hopeful that Grace would arrive before dinner. Brian and I discussed taking a nap, we listened to a podcast, life was pretty good now that I had that delightful epidural. 

The nurse came in around 3:15pm and asked if I was feeling any pressure and told me I needed some oxygen. She had me lie on my side, checked again and I was at 8.5cm. I told her there was some pressure but nothing major. She left the room and as the door shut suddenly there was a LOT of pressure. I yelled and Brian went running, she rushed back in, made a quick phone call -Do not let Doctor Rush leave the floor, and then she started prepping. By that point things were pretty painful. There was a lot of pressure, and I was told not to push. I always want to laugh when someone says that. Ok no I actually want to hurt them and ask them how that is ever going to work. Anyway so at this point I’m “breathing” and not pushing with the contractions and I wasn't super pleased. My doctor rushes in about 5 minutes later, suits up, and tells me to start pushing. After 3 or 4 pushes she says she can see Grace’s head and has me push harder. Nothing really happens, Im sure something happened, I just couldn't tell. At this point she tells me to stop pushing and asks if I’ve ever torn or had an episiotomy- luckily I’ve had both (ok not luckily). She then informs me that she doesn't like to cut episiotomies but that given my past history and the way Grace is positioned she needs to cut one to prevent tearing. She does offer not to, but really by that point I didn't even care. So she quickly cut the episiotomy, and within 2 or 3 more pushes Grace was here! She arrived at exactly 3:30pm. 

The first comment the nurses and doctor had about Grace was that “she’s a big girl!”, they also commented that she had a ton of hair. I hadn't seen her yet (Brian was cutting the cord) so I wasnt sure. They finally gave her to me (ok this took like 10 seconds)and it’s true she did seem big, and she did have a LOT of hair. I held her for a few minutes while the placenta was delivered and the doctor started stitching. After a few minutes Brian went with Grace across the room to weigh and measure her. She was bigger than both the boys- 7lbs, 14oz, but not huge. The doctor finished stitching… fun times, and I got to hold Grace again. 

The buddies arrived to see her around 4:30pm, and they were thrilled, but that’s another post. 

I will admit that like with Michael when they handed me Grace I was just too tired to hold her. I must have looked tired because at one point the nurse asked if I wanted to pass her to Dad. After 10 or so minutes the lightheaded feeling wore off and I was excited to meet her.


This was a little bit of surreal experience, as we plan for Grace to be our last baby, I was trying to remember everything that happened as it was happening but really couldn't, it was almost if I was watching a movie from a distance of someone going through the experience. I also had two previous experiences to compare this one to. I think of the three Zach’s was the easier labor, but Grace was the easiest birth (because the epidural actually worked this time). I’m so glad she’s here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea