Cut out for this?
Some days I think I am quite cut out to be MIchael's mom. Someone's mom yes, but this kid's, i am pretty sure that by age 3 he is going to be much smarter than me, and I dont think that at 26 I am going to get exponentially smarter. Some days this kid is a crack up, some days not so much. A few recent examples.
First the not so much. As previously mentioned we went to CA and had a rough flight there. Actually a screaming flight there, about halfway through I wanted to walk to the bathroom deposit him in there and walk back to my seat and stay for the remainder of the flight. I didnt follow that instinct though I have to admit it was probably more because I was sitting next to the window and would have had to crawl over 2 other people than that I am a nice mom. Anyway as we were running to our flight Michael discovered a trick, if he goes limp and wont walk I will drag him along. I thought this would deter him, I wouldnt want to be dragged... but no, he loved this. I was mildly worried his arm would come out of the socket but reassured myself that Uncle Jared would be there and could fix it... yeah not kidding about that part sadly. So everything turned out fine, except that this going limp thing has continued... love it.
Now on to the crack up (though I am sure some other people cracked up about the previous part, if you take the "not my kid, not my problem" approach (which I am fond of) the first part was funny, if it were your kid I would at least chuckle. Okay so continuing. This afternoon Michael dumped all his animal crackers out on the floor. He insists on eating his snacks off the floor, every day. Since I insist on mopping a couple times a week, and sweeping a couple of times a day I guess this is fine, there are worse places he could eat. He dumped his crackers out, ate some, but left the rest, and it was time to clean up. While he was dumping stuff and playing I was making dinner. When asked what he wanted for dinner Michael said "broccoli!" so I had some cooked broccoli sitting on the counter (not a request we refuse). He was so excited about it, I told him he couldnt have it until he cleaned up, and guess what. He cleaned up, then he came running for the broccoli and ate the whole bowl and asked for more (which I didnt have but he was satisfied with a pear). He then ate several lemon slices, something I tried to discourage but eventually realized was probably genetic (since Auntie Em and Poppy eat lemons peel and all) and gave in.
Now on to the not so much/crack up. While we were in CA Michael slept in a pack'n'play in my room. He is almost too long for them so I would have thought it would be uncomfortable, plus the mattress is a cardboard piece i mean how comfortable can that be. We got home and the first 2 nights he was thrilled with his bed (he has a toddler bed now so it is even more fun) but the last 2 nights he has requested the little bed in our room. I dont know if he is comforted by the smallness, or that we might be in there. But after screaming both nights for... a bit, when I fulfilled his request he went right to sleep. We moved him back to his room, but seriously, a tiny cardboard bed over the comfy real bed...
First the not so much. As previously mentioned we went to CA and had a rough flight there. Actually a screaming flight there, about halfway through I wanted to walk to the bathroom deposit him in there and walk back to my seat and stay for the remainder of the flight. I didnt follow that instinct though I have to admit it was probably more because I was sitting next to the window and would have had to crawl over 2 other people than that I am a nice mom. Anyway as we were running to our flight Michael discovered a trick, if he goes limp and wont walk I will drag him along. I thought this would deter him, I wouldnt want to be dragged... but no, he loved this. I was mildly worried his arm would come out of the socket but reassured myself that Uncle Jared would be there and could fix it... yeah not kidding about that part sadly. So everything turned out fine, except that this going limp thing has continued... love it.
Now on to the crack up (though I am sure some other people cracked up about the previous part, if you take the "not my kid, not my problem" approach (which I am fond of) the first part was funny, if it were your kid I would at least chuckle. Okay so continuing. This afternoon Michael dumped all his animal crackers out on the floor. He insists on eating his snacks off the floor, every day. Since I insist on mopping a couple times a week, and sweeping a couple of times a day I guess this is fine, there are worse places he could eat. He dumped his crackers out, ate some, but left the rest, and it was time to clean up. While he was dumping stuff and playing I was making dinner. When asked what he wanted for dinner Michael said "broccoli!" so I had some cooked broccoli sitting on the counter (not a request we refuse). He was so excited about it, I told him he couldnt have it until he cleaned up, and guess what. He cleaned up, then he came running for the broccoli and ate the whole bowl and asked for more (which I didnt have but he was satisfied with a pear). He then ate several lemon slices, something I tried to discourage but eventually realized was probably genetic (since Auntie Em and Poppy eat lemons peel and all) and gave in.
Now on to the not so much/crack up. While we were in CA Michael slept in a pack'n'play in my room. He is almost too long for them so I would have thought it would be uncomfortable, plus the mattress is a cardboard piece i mean how comfortable can that be. We got home and the first 2 nights he was thrilled with his bed (he has a toddler bed now so it is even more fun) but the last 2 nights he has requested the little bed in our room. I dont know if he is comforted by the smallness, or that we might be in there. But after screaming both nights for... a bit, when I fulfilled his request he went right to sleep. We moved him back to his room, but seriously, a tiny cardboard bed over the comfy real bed...
Comments
Post a Comment