Grown Up Phone and Diffusion of Innovations
I got a grown up phone today.
I need to first say that I probably have the best husband out there. He works a ton, has a good attitude about it, and is pretty selfless. Last year Brian's work gave them the option of getting smartphones instead of a new blackberry (having had a blackberry i am putting that in a different more irritating category) and in true Brian fashion he did a ton of research picked the best one he could, and was super excited about it. And then about a month after he got it he dropped it in just the right way and the screen cracked, still functioned, but cracked. If you have met Bri you know that if something still functions, even if it is broken he will continue to use it rather than getting a new one or fixing it. So the phone he was so excited about was less good, but he hasnt complained, hasnt even really mentioned it. But every time I look at the phone I am a little sad, cause it is always sad when things dont work out for the people you love. So I need to say that looking at my phone causes an increase in the amount of guilt because I know he still has a broken one.
Maybe it would more realistic to say "late majority", but I am definitely not one of those people that knows what is hip (yes I said hip) in the smartphone world. I can barely work Brian's phone, scratch that, cant figure it out at all. So I was due for an upgrade, not to mention that several of the key buttons on my phone were intermittently working (sorry for any weird texts that were sent), it wouldnt stay on, and the screen was on its' way out. So a new phone was in order (we dont have a home phone so I am going to say it was a necessity though that might not be true). My plan was to get a free texting phone (yeah again with the hip lingo), I am cheap (ish) and not tech savy so that seemed my speed, but Bri urged me another way. So after quite a bit of convincing I bit the bullet and went the other way. I must admit that when I got in the car and sat in the parking lot with the car turned off to call Brian and let him know that I got the phone that I couldnt figure out how to make a call. Luckily my friend is smarter than me and she figured it out (already knew how). So I have welcomed myself to the iPhone world, I dont feel like my life has been revolutionized, like it is better, more trendy, better organized etc, but then again I have only had the phone for 6 hours. Oh and I should mention that Michael saw the phone and said "Mommy phone color" and proceeded to look for the app (like on Daddy's phone). Yeah my 18 month old who has had limited exposure to electronics (but a ton to the sandbox and the library) knows how to work my phone, but me... I needed assistance. I have to admit I may have downloaded a lot of free toddler educational apps after I saw that, we have a plane flight coming up... this might make it so our bag is a wee bit lighter and the flight is slightly less hectic. So I am taking phone lessons from my 18 month old and oh did I mention I have an awesome husband.
Oh yeah I took this picture with my phone... act impressed cause I sorta was. You know what this means, instagram... I may figure out how to use this one app...


You did it. Welcome to fancy phone world...We are android users (the non apple) smart phone. One day I'll have an iphone! Enjoy. We can't wait to see you!!!
ReplyDelete