A Boy Mom



Since we found out that Michael was a boy (over 5 years ago) I've been a boy mom. I don't know that I ever thought about it much either way, but when we had Zach I definitely identified with the other "boy moms". I carry trucks in my very tiny bag, I don't know how to do hair, I consider jeans perfectly acceptable every day clothes, I only wear a skirt to church, the girl section of the store overwhelms me, at this point I'm not sure I even know how to play with dolls but I can build a heck of a train track. I know all about Wild Kratts, Star Wars, and Thomas. I have been known to participate in a lightsaber fight or two, I don't find it that unusual to say something like "do NOT pee on your brother", I expect the fighting to begin when they wake each other up (usually violently) and end when one of them collapses in exhaustion. So now I'd say I'm firmly in the boy mom camp, but the other day it hit me... I won't just be a boy mom soon. I may have to learn to paint fingernails, braid hair (ok I can braid my own hair), and teach someone how to put on makeup. Someday I may be hearing about how Timmy is so cute, and yes there is even the possibility I may someday strongly encourage Grace to follow the tradition of the red and white wedding (we have to get our money's worth out of that dress). Im wondering if being a mom of both genders will be different. I would imagine in some ways it will be. There may be slightly less, "stop hitting your brother in the face!" and a little bit more talk about feelings. We may possibly go somewhere and sit and she may not run off (ok this is a long shot at best). Given the maniacs that she will grow up with I bet Grace will be feisty, dirty, and loud. But still I am curious to see how she changes our family dynamic just by being a girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds