Kid Food

There's something about kid food that is just gross. Since my kids aren't lucky enough to watch commercials (or really know what they are since they're parents are too cheap to get cable) they aren't exposed to a ton of commercials for kid food. But don't worry they hear about it and see it at school. The other day we were buying lunch meat at HEB and Michael spotted the Lunchables. I remember really wanting Lunchables as a kid (the commercials were awesome and the cool kids had them) and my mom saying no but that she's make me the homemade version. I wasnt ever pleased with that option, it just seemed... well lame. As I was standing in the Lunchable section with Michael I found myself saying the same thing. I caught myself, let him pick one out to try and we left. We've done this with a few things (pop tarts, Lucky Charms) in the earlier cases he's tried them, liked them initially but decided after the second or third go round that they are disgusting. I was hoping the same would be true for the Lunchables. So we bought two (one for Michael and one for Zach) and took them to his field trip yesterday. He was so excited, and this is where I felt terrible for him. I opened it and he looked crestfallen, he said something to the effect of "Is that it?" yep buddy, that is it. He tried the cheese, decided it was terrible and wouldn't eat it. Thought the ham was ok, the crackers were gross and the cookies were stale. Oh and that pacific cooler capri sun (one of the greatest flavors of all time) he threw it away. After completing his "meal", including the plastic cheese because he was "starving" he hopefully asked if I'd brought him a "real lunch" at which point he ate a yogurt, a bowl of strawberries, and a granola bar. Ok these things weren't the healthiest but the kid was starving. 

Today we went back to HEB to make homemade Lunchables. He picked out his meat at the deli counter, got his favorite cheese (gouda) and then we came home and made them. His comment was "Mom these are so much better than the store!!!", no kidding. I am hoping that he continues with this conclusion. He was also thrilled that a homemade Lunchable came with a choice of fruit (strawberries and watermelon) and a much better treat (we were home so he had a little bit of ice cream) oh and that with the homemade version you could eat enough to be full... there's that bit. I feel a little bit terrible crushing the dreams of childhood that pop tarts, sugary cereal, and lunchables are well... not real food, but a little bit happy that he's coming to these conclusions on his own. Maybe he can just run with them. Now to convince him that eating the crust of his bread won't kill him, or heaven forbid that he eat wheat bread instead of white (that's one school thing that seems to have stuck). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

Genius Idea