Texas in the Spring: Bluebonnets

 For those unfamiliar with "the bluebonnets" let me offer a brief primer on the Texas spring. I have to admit that until my first spring in Texas I thought the bluebonnets were a fable that ex-Texans told in an effort to make the rest of the US jealous. My mom is from Texas and she would tell us about the bluebonnets, she even had a few things with bluebonnets, but I assumed that the bluebonnets were like the California poppies- pretty but not super plentiful. I was wrong. The bluebonnets are a big deal down here in Texas no matter how many springs they appear. They usually arrive in late March and early April and unlike the California poppies you cannot miss them. Whole fields are covered in blue flowers for several weeks. Families trek out and take pictures each year. You can't help but admire them, it seems that every patch of undeveloped land has at least one bluebonnet during this time of year. They grow all along the highways, in lawns, in the median, in front of buildings, in every field you pass. They are beautiful, I highly recommend visiting Texas (if you're going to visit for some other reason) during this time of year.

I thought this year we would try and take at least one bluebonnet picture. I took them on the real camera and I'm pretty sure none of them turned out, but I love this one that was taken with my phone. We walked up to the field by our mailbox and the boys walked through the flowers for a few minutes. They had tons of fun chasing butterflies and walking in the flowers. I think I may have to frame this one (despite the photo quality) just to show that they are true Texans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Baby Zach is Here!

7 pounds